View Single Post
Old 18-09-09, 17:15

Question St Georges Middlesex and William Looker ~ opinions needed

I’ve always assumed that it’s St George’s Hanover Sq.
This is the right area for my Looker family and I think a couple of them marry there.

1901 census, my William Looker (born between 1826 – 1833) has it that St Georges, Middx. is where he was born. On previous English censuses he’s less specific and when in Scotland (1851 – 1871) he just says England.

What I’ve been trying to do for the past few years is to establish that I’ve found his parents/siblings.
Parts of Middx. on the 1841 census are missing ~ but there’s a family in Ossulstone (Kensington/Chelsea) which fits rather nicely. What I don’t have is absolute proof that this family is mine and hoped the new stuff on Ancestry would settle it, but it’s thrown a spanner in the works.

The parents (1841) are Isaac and Jane Looker
Children :-

Rebecca
William
Henry
Joseph
Jemima

These names are good. William uses them for some of his offspring :-

James (male form of Jemima)
Jane
William Henry
Rebecca

Following the parents (Isaac and Jane) on to the 1851 census tells me that Isaac is from Marlborough, Wilts. and Jane is from Hungerford, Berks. Perfect !

Here’s the problem ~

The baptism of William Looker (with parents Isaac and Jane) is on the new Ancestry records …… BUT it takes place at St Mary’s, Bryanston Sq. and the family’s address at that time is Seymour Place which is close to the church.

Hanover Sq. is to the right and down a bit

I should add that although I have the place and date of William’s marriage in Scotland, from the birth certs of 2 of his offspring, no official record has ever come to light. It is not on Scotlandspeople and the NAS were unable to find it.

woops ~ it's taken so long to type this that I've left out the 'please' and 'thank you' !

Last edited by Rachel; 18-09-09 at 17:30.