View Single Post
Old 14-08-11, 18:40

Witnesses were WILLIAM CLARK and JANE READ (or possibly HEAD but I think it is READ), neither of which names means a thing to me. There is no mention of any permission being given for her to marry. Remember though that the marriage took place in London and she came from Norfolk. I don't know where Henry Moore was from - he died in 1844 so I only know it wasn't Middlesex where they were living in 1841. My theory is they were both from Norfolk and they eloped to London where they weren't known.

I've found the following on the IGI, either of whom could be her:

1) Baptised at Billingsford,Norfolk, 15 Mar 1789 dau. of Joseph Barber and Mary Dye. Submitted entry with no provenance but FREEREG shows:
Baptised at St Leonard's,Billingford,Norfolk, 15 Mar 1789 dau. of Joseph Barber and Mary nee Dey

2) Baptised at Starston,Norfolk, 4 Jul 1789, dau. of John Barber and Sarah. (IGI Batch number 8532304)

As far as I can see, there is no way of knowing if either or neither of these two is my Sarah...and, of course, she may not feature on the IGI at all!

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, they were married by licence which I think adds weight to my theory that they eloped.