View Single Post
Old 21-11-23, 15:18
Administrator

I have seen a few like that, including one for the sibling of one of my ancestors, though the enumerator had crossed through the dec'd children in that case.

A few days ago I was looking at a 1911 census where the husband of the person who completed the form is showing as head of household and the wife says she has been married for 30+ years. So, it was surprising to me that not only did she say she was a widow in 1901 but also her husband's death was in 1899! At first I just imagined she had got confused about what she should write on the 1911 form (like these dec'd children you mentioned), but her husband also appears on the e-rolls for the 1911 address in 1908-1913, so that's a bit odd! In 1911 his details match with 1891 and in 1921 she is a widow again, but there's no death for him 1911-1921 presumably because he died in 1899! I can only imaging she took up with a new man and he took on the identity of her first husband? I'm trying to think why they might do that? Got to be some financial reason? They were not at all well off though...

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010