Thread: Local BMD Sites
View Single Post
Old 22-01-13, 17:34
Administrator

I would definitely ask the local office if they can send you a scan or photocopy. If they can, then order from them as this will be the most accurate version of the information originally given and signatures will be copies of the originals. If they cannot do this, then I would consider ordering from the GRO instead as the least accurate certificate copies I have are those hand written or typed by local registrars not used to reading Victorian handwriting!

I don't think it's very easy to say how likely it is that the local office will help you with an original copy as every office is different and every ledger of certs is different too. The usual reason for not making a photocopy is that the ledger is too fat to fit in the copier! (I have had local offices check GRO certs for me and also send me tracings of signatures before now, always without charge - but this was a long time ago - maybe 15 years ++)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010