Thread: Who was Derek?
View Single Post
Old 27-12-09, 10:19
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretMarch View Post
The only way to find his birth name would have been for him to apply for his birth certificate. I don't think anyone else can do that now.

If you had information about where exactly he was born you could perhaps try to look for all the males born that day in the register concerned and then try to narrow it down, but given it was London I don't hold out much hope.

I suppose the other line of enquiry would be to see if he was born to Caroline before her marriage and then adopted by Wicks to simply regularise the situation after their marriage especially since they travelled abroad. Any record may or may not give his father's name presuming it wasn't Wicks.

Margaret
Thanks Margaret - he doesn't appear to have been registered in his mother's maiden - also he wasn't the only child that the Wick's adopted

Quote:
Originally Posted by samesizedfeet View Post
Are you sure he wasn't a Wicks?? I'd find it very strange that he'd be issued with a travel document in the Wicks name in 1926 if that didn't officially become his name until he was adopted in 1928.
Sorry Zoe - I didn't explain it fully! - probably because it's a bit complicated- LOL! I have't seen the travel document issued in 1926 and don't know what name it was in.

I have a copy of another travel document issued in 1946 (when Derek waas returning to London from Germany to attend his father's trial at the Old Bailey). This 1946 document was completed by Derek and in answer to the question "Are you in possession of a passport?" he has answered "Emergency Certificate No 781 issued Paris 21.6.26 British Embassy (Consular Section) adopted son birth certificate ACR8402/6 copy London 19.9.46"