Thread: Who was Derek?
View Single Post
Old 27-12-09, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
Derek Malcolm Wicks (died 1959) was adopted by Henry William Wicks and his wife, Caroline Ruth.

This is what I have so far.

26.3.26 Derek was born in London, I believe (I don't have a cert!)

21.06.26 he was issued with an emergency travel document by the British Embassy (Consular Section) in Paris

September 1927 he is on a passenger list with Caroline Ruth - so presumably he was living with the Wicks's by then.

31.08.28 there is an entry for him on the Adopted Children's Register.

Is there any more I can do to find out who he was ? - presumably he was not born with the surname Wicks
The only way to find his birth name would have been for him to apply for his birth certificate. I don't think anyone else can do that now.

If you had information about where exactly he was born you could perhaps try to look for all the males born that day in the register concerned and then try to narrow it down, but given it was London I don't hold out much hope.

I suppose the other line of enquiry would be to see if he was born to Caroline before her marriage and then adopted by Wicks to simply regularise the situation after their marriage especially since they travelled abroad. Any record may or may not give his father's name presuming it wasn't Wicks.

Margaret