View Single Post
Old 24-06-13, 09:46

Only yesterday a will resolved a mystery I have had for some time.

Tracing one of my paternal lines I had found a marriage licence for a couple in London that just had to be my direct line ancestors but somehow they didn't feel 'right'. The female's line back were landed gentry as were her male siblings or they were in the learned professions, the line coming down to me definitely were neither...Not even close!

After chipping away at the 'problem' for a number of years yesterday I was looking at wills of possible relations to try and find a connection and got a result.

The will of her Uncle, who had been her Guardian, confirmed her marriage, parentage and my connection and then explained the lack of money. She had received money at her marriage, as per the terms of her parents wills and then a further sum at a later date from his own funds. He obviously wasn't impressed with his niece and her husband as you can see by this telling phrase....

"They have not been good husbands to their portion and therefore will give them not more".

So she missed out on a share of his considerable personal fortune.

Thanks Roger and Frances henceforth known as the 'spendthrift' ancestors

Chris

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 24-06-13 at 09:53. Reason: Tense