Thread: Sarah Chadder
View Single Post
Old 26-01-16, 03:11

I am not sure how far back you are interested in researching. (The Drake family must have plenty of ancestral material).

But, for the record, and in case you are interested, about 40 years ago my father spent time researching our Devon ancestors. Before the internet, his sources were primarily the Genealogical Society in London, and the College of Heralds.

He recorded 12 generations of ancestors for Elizabeth Wise. If the first few generations can be substantiated, I think the earlier ones are on record.

Elizabeth Wise (m. William Chadder), daughter of
- Thomas Wise, of Warberton (m. Amy Leare), son of:
- Sampson Wise of Dittisham (m. Mary, daughter of Sir Samuel Somaster) son of:
- John Wise of Totnes (m. Dorothy, daughter of Josias Eveleigh)
- John Wise of Totnes (m. Emmet, daughter of Richard Vavasour) son of:
- John Wise of Sydenham (m. Alice daughter of John Harris of Hayne), son of:
- James Wise of Sydenham d. 1534 (m. Alice, daughter of John Dyneham of Worthen) son of:
- John Wise of Sydenham (m. Mary, daughter of James Chudleigh of Ashton), son of:
- Oliver Wise of Sydenham (m. Margaret, daughter of Sir John Tremayne, Kt), son of:
- Oliver Wise of Sydenham (m. Alicia) son of:
- Thomas Wise of Sydenham (m. Thomasin, daughter of Sir Baldwin Fulford), son of:
- Thomas Wise of Sydenham (m. Margaret, daughter of Roert Brett of Stattiscombe), son of:
- John Wise of Mount Wise and Sydenham, living around 1404.

Some support for this comes from an article in the 'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society' Volume XI. 1888. The first article "Excerpts from the Registers of the Parish of Much Wenlock" was written by Francis Benthall, and has copious information about Benthalls, and their relatives, including (on page 73) some information about the family of Elizabeth Chadder nee Wise. It matches the above information as far as her father and grandfather are concerned, but then deviates.
tpb

Last edited by tpb; 31-01-16 at 22:38. Reason: Additional information