Thread: Sarah Chadder
View Single Post
Old 23-01-16, 18:13

William Chadder was a surgeon in Totnes, Devon. He married Elizabeth Wise.

Dorothy Chadder married Dr. Wiliam Marshall, and their genealogy can be found in "Miscellanea Marescalliana, genealogical notes on the surname of Marshall" They had 9 children:
- One was Mary Ann Marshall, who married William Searle Bentall (they were my great great grandparents),
- Another was Rev. William Marshall, who married Isabella Carolina Clark Ogilvie Perry-Ogilvie, (whose parents' elopement was a big scandal at the time). Their daughter Clementina married Edward, son of Wiiliam Searle Bentall, and was my great grandmother.
- Another, Margaret Eleanora Admonition Marshall married Thornton Bentall, brother of the above William Searle Bentall.

Mary Chadder married William Adams, one of whose sons, another William Adams, was M.P. for Totnes, and another Samuel, married Elizabeth Bentall, sister of the two brothers.

Another William Marshall, cousin of the one above, married Louisa Bentall, another sister of those brothers. Their son, Charles Henry, married Charlotte Augusta Dring Drake, daughter of Sir William H. Drake, K.C.B. and so also great grand-daughter of Sarah Chadder and John Drake. His older brother, also William, was the father of Alfred Marshall, a famous economist, tutor and friend of John Maynard Keynes.

It is said that William Chadder's father was a Huguenot refugee. I would be interested to know if that can be confirmed, or if anything else is known of him.

Last edited by tpb; 23-01-16 at 18:16.