View Single Post
Old 04-09-09, 14:40

Default A suspicious death?

I've just received a death cert from Australia, and I'm very dubious about the cause of death. I wonder what everyone else thinks. I won't put the names, in case any living relatives pick them up on Google.

AM (who called himself a newspaper reporter) married KM (gentlewoman) in Australia on 3rd August 1895. KM was a widow - she married her first husband in 1894, and I've found a possible death for him in 1895 (don't have the cert, so I don't know what he died of).

On 13th November 1895 the New South Wales Police Gazette reported that a warrant had been issued for the arrest of AM, a clerk, on charges of embezzlement from his employers (definitely KM's husband, because he had a very distinctive name).

On 14th November, AM's wife KM died. The death cert says she died of peritonitis. The informant was a police constable (never seen that before on an Australian death cert). The length of illness isn't stated on the cert, but on 14th November the City Coroner certified that an inquest was unnecessary.

It seems like a bit too much of a coincidence to me that she died so soon after a warrant was issued for her husband's arrest (he was later tried, found guilty, and sentenced to imprisonment).

I don't suppose he bumped her off (although her two marriages and her first husband's death in quick succession seem a bit odd), but I'm wondering if she actually committed suicide. However, if there was any doubt, you'd think an inquest would have been ordered.

Any ideas about what might have happened?

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-09-09 at 14:47.