View Single Post
Old 17-07-23, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My mother lied about her address when she married, she gave her uncle Jack's post office across the road because the parish boundary ran in front of her house, though she left her packed suitcase there in case anybody checked (as if!) one of her grandmothers did the same in order to marry in a different church, no idea if she did the suitcase trick.
I did similar. I wanted to marry at a certain church as had many of my family. Unfortunately the parish boundary ran across the middle of our road and we lived on the wrong side. I gave my grandfathers address. The vicar knew, in fact it was his idea. He was leaving so wasn’t too bothered. He mentioned the suitcase although I didn’t. One night a temporary vicar knocked on granddads door and asked to speak to me. Granddad said I was out. Vicar then asked if I really lived there. Granddad said, “ I may be old but I’m not bl***dy stupid. I know who lives in my house.’”
Luckily we had a retired Canon marry us so didn’t have to face the temporary vicar.