View Single Post
Old 06-11-16, 11:53

Default Ancestry Premium membership and fold3

I have recently come back to Ancestry after a year's break, taking out a Worldwide membership.

I have just had an email from them detailing new records which include UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930. There is something there about my gt grandfather's court martial in 1864 but when I try to view the page it tells me I need to have access to something called "fold3" for which I need to have a premium "access all areas" subscription. I thought I had this but apparently not and I can't find out from the site how much extra they want for it. A LostCousins newsletter a few weeks ago suggested that this kind of subscription costs a whopping £229.99! There is an option to have a 7 day free trial which would let me see the vital record but I am loathe to start it in case cancelling at the end of the 7 days would also cancel my Worldwide membership and I certainly don't want to be billed for an extra £50! I think this is all very, very naughty of Ancestry.

Has anyone any experience of this please? Was it easy to cancel without jeopardising your existing Ancestry membership?

Edit: Also meant to ask: does anyone know exactly what info is in these records? I know what the outcome was (guillty, imprisoned and demoted) from his army record but want to know what the charge was.

Last edited by Ann from Sussex; 06-11-16 at 12:01.