View Single Post
Old 11-05-14, 08:05

Hi Guys.

My Vanstone married Annie Edwards (Mary Anne Parsons Edwards) and had children Harry and Dora. The family emigrated to Canada. Harry later met and wanted to marry one of my great aunts.

His death was reported in the Hartland Chronicle by Thomas Cory Burrows, who knew the Edwards family. That says he was born in Stratton, Cornwall. I don't have the transcription to hand, but think it also says he was 78. he seems to have shaved several years off his age in 1901 (possibly because his wife was younger) but sticks by the Cornwall birthplace.

Thanks for setting it out, Allan. The Hartland Chroncile always worked by neighbourhoods, rather than county boundaries, so I don't always notice when they slip from Devon to Cornwall and back again.

Yes, I do mean 1891, Kite. He drove the carrier's van and took Annie's mother "a large lady" to market at Bideford in it.

I have just found another obituary, which says that he drove for Mrs Thorne (which I knew) but also that she married another James Vanstone, relative of TJMV, who had also spent some time abroad!