View Single Post
Old 08-03-14, 14:54
Administrator

Default Guide to the Jamaican Civil Registration records - FamilySearch

FamilySearch has many images available for Jamaican civil registrations of births, marriages and deaths, but they are not yet all indexed. You will need to log into your FamilySearch account to view the images, so if you don't already have an account, you will need to register for one. It is free.

First, search the records that have already been indexed, because if the record you are searching for comes up that way, it will link you directly to the image:
Jamaica Civil Registration Indexed Records

If you don't find the record you are looking for by searching the index, you will need to browse through the images for it. Again, you need to be logged into your FamilySearch account. Use the above link but scroll down to where it says:
View Images in this Collection

and click where it says:
Browse through 2,048,077 images.

Unfortunately the images are organised by "Digital Folder Number" but there is nothing on the FamilySearch site to tell you what the Digital Folder Number means. The next few posts on this thread show you the Digital Folder Numbers for each parish and event type (ie. births, marriages or deaths) with the FamilySearch microfilm numbers also shown. (All the numbers are the property of FamilySearch and this guide is just to help you find the right Digital Folder Number.) So look through the posts on this thread to find out which Digital Folder Numbers you will need to look at.

I generated this list by looking at the beginning of each Digital Folder to see the microfilm number (but sometimes I had to figure out what the film number was as it wasn't shown or only partially), and then looked the film numbers up in the FamilySearch Catalog to see the contents of that film, but some of the films contain more than one event type and it could be that I haven't included the full listing on here, so if you still can't find what you're looking for, use the FamilySearch Catalog to find the film number that you want, then use the "Search this Thread" on here to see whether the film number is listed, and if so, you will see the Digital Folder Number that you need. The easiest way I have found to get the film number is to search the Catalog for Author Number 337987 and this link will take you to the list of parishes etc and then click on the one you want to see the list of films and their contents:
Author: Jamaica Registrar General

Also the FamilySearch Catalog often gives more detail about the contents of the film than the short descriptions which I have put on this thread.

Please let us know of any mistakes or omissions that you find in the information on this thread and we will correct it.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry