View Single Post
Old 07-05-12, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Mrs Boynton was 38 b York in 1881.

I can see her as a servant in 1871 and 1861 (b 1842/3 York), but I can't see her in 1851!! She isn't the daughter of the family Kate posted earlier as I saw her separately in 1861 (and they are not the same age, despite the same birthplace)
Sorry, struggling to keep up with you speed readers! So we have two possible candidates for George's sister. We're pretty sure it's his sister because his signature looks almost identical on his and her respective marriage certs. But we don't know which Elizabeth Spence from Bootham is the right one.

I see that Bootham is a neighborhood of York. By Google's reckoning, Bootham Street is about a 15-minute walk from Queen Street where there is a George Spence age 12 in 1851 with the family of William Spence. Or could Queen Street actually be included in what is considered Bootham?

The William Spence on Queen Street in the 1851 says he is born Linton-on-Ouse; and Helen Spence, the mother of a possibly illegitimate Elizabeth in the link Merry just gave us, is also born Linton-on-Ouse (mistranscribed by Ancestry as Linton-on-Crise or some such).

I'm afraid I'm not following you, Merry, about her not being the daughter of the family Kate posted. You mean the one in post #7? Oh, I think I'm getting it. You see two Elizabeth Spences in 1861; one is still with that same family and the other one is elsewhere?

Janet (Niagara)