Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hypothetical question (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=677)

Margaret in Burton 14-09-09 11:29

Hypothetical question

This is niece's hubby's tree again

Can't name names as at least 3 of these people are still alive.

I have a marriage in 1923 in Godstone, Surrey. He was in the Grenadier Guards so perhaps why they move around so much.

Not common names and the only one on the whole of Ancestry or FreeBMD with that combination of surnames marrying.

I have found five children.

1: Dec qtr 1923, Mere, Wiltshire

2: Dec qtr 1930, Chelsea, London

3: Mar qtr 1931, Dorchester, Wiltshire

4: Jun qtr 1937, Derby

5: Jun qtr 1947, Burton

All the same mothers maiden name.

2, 4 and 5 certain same family as they are known about in the family

Number 1 is as well as there is a christening on Ancestry that confirms the parents (dad has a very unusual first name, the same as child number 2- the only ones listed from 1837-2005)

Child number 3 is my problem. I know it's the next quarter to number 2 but a different district. I know we could get the birth cert but this family is proving so complicated that it's going to cost a fortune anyway by the look of it, so trying to economise where possible.

My question is: Could they have been twins but only one was registered in Chelsea and the other in Dorchester in the next quarter?

I have found child number 1 still alive. He may know the answers. I have an address and a phone number, but as the rest of the family don't appear to know he exists he may want to meet his 2 sisters still alive. They believe that their mother was someone else and it's a bit late in the day to tell them different.

Merry 14-09-09 11:40

Quote:

My question is: Could they have been twins but only one was registered in Chelsea and the other in Dorchester in the next quarter?
Well in theory a definite No :D. These days I have seen twins born different days and with an ambulance/helicopter taking the mum to a bigger hospital inbetween, but no chance of then then! Children were registered in the place they were born or if the informant found it easier to go to a different reg office, the entry should still appear under the birth district if that was different.

Next possibility is that there has been a hugh **** ** with the GRO/register office transfer of info, but I can't imagine how that could be really (only if something went wrong with the events suggested at the end of my last para).

Other possibilities?? I'll have a think over my mackerel on toast (s'posed to be good for the brains!??) and get back to you afterwards!

Margaret in Burton 14-09-09 11:56

Thanks Merry

I did forget to mention that mum was from Wiltshire.

kiterunner 14-09-09 12:49

It could be that the mother of child 3 had been married before her marriage to child 3's father, in which case her surname for the second marriage registration wouldn't be the same as her maiden name. Or they could have got married in a different country, or not got married at all.

Margaret in Burton 14-09-09 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 18171)
It could be that the mother of child 3 had been married before her marriage to child 3's father, in which case her surname for the second marriage registration wouldn't be the same as her maiden name. Or they could have got married in a different country, or not got married at all.

I know you are right Kate.

I have been trying to follow through with child 3 to perhaps find a marriage etc but nothing that jumps out at me. I have found children and grandchildren for child 1.

Merry 14-09-09 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton (Post 18121)
Thanks Merry

I did forget to mention that mum was from Wiltshire.

Dorchester isn't very near Wiltshire, despite what Ancestry tell you!

Margaret in Burton 14-09-09 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 18205)
Dorchester isn't very near Wiltshire, despite what Ancestry tell you!

Oooh so it isn't. :o:o

Mind you, with him being in the army they could have been anywhere.

Merry 14-09-09 15:21

And as OH said, there are barracks at Dorchester :mad:

I still don't think they can be twins. I think you should look for the death of child 2 and note the date given for his birth :rolleyes: (that's if he is dec'd of course :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)) I doubt you will find it's even within six weeks of Q1 1931!

Jennifer Eccles 14-09-09 15:26

I don't know if this is any help but would it be possible to see where the regiment Barracks were, do you know which company he was in? there are Barracks in Wiltshire.

Margaret in Burton 14-09-09 15:54

I only know he was in the Grenadier Guards Jen, no more