Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Records Office - got the t-shirt! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75)

lozaras 27-08-09 19:48

Records Office - got the t-shirt!

Well ok - not really but I'm no longer a records office virgin - I visited Devon Records Office during my holiday there in August.... WOW!!!

It's amazing and 3 hours was not enough!
I looked at a will and all records for 3 parishes I was interested in (Dad came to help too in case you're wondering how)

It was fantastic to see the records written by the curate at the time of the event.

I found one relative's burial details (22 years old) with the note "Blown up by gunpowder at the Haytor Granite Works" :eek::eek:

A few days later I visited the church he was buried at, but couldn't find him, maybe he had no headstone, they weren't well off.

I'm going to feel jealous of all visitors to ROs now :( ;)

Jeanette in Yorkshire 27-08-09 19:51

Hia Sarah

Nice to see you here :D Glad you found time to do a bit of research. I'll be glad when the kids go back then I can get back to my RO trips ;)

borobabs 27-08-09 20:11

Lucky you babe I am also waiting hoping when Kes gets back to work that I can get some time to go there ;;;

Merry 27-08-09 20:24

I am still a RO virgin! I did try to visit one once, but they had closed for one day only - I just got to peek through the door when someone came to tell me why I couldn't go in!

Nell 28-08-09 13:52

There's nothing like going to a records office to bring your family to life. I remember going to Cambridge RO and then having found my ancestors in their records, going out to trace their footsteps in the streets where they lived.

Gravestones don't always survive and sadly lots of graveyards are overgrown and the stones illegible. But its a thrill to imagine our ancestors going to the church to be baptised or married or buried.

Similarly, finding a transcription online is no substitute for looking at a handwritten record mentioning your ancestor!

Ann L from Darlo 01-09-09 22:39

I don't know how anyone can research their family history without going to RO---I love it and yes 3 hours isn't enough sometimes

JayG 01-09-09 22:43

LOL Ann, was at Darlo library on Saturday for 6 hours & that wasn't enough time either :d

Ann L from Darlo 03-09-09 18:56

Wow Jay G---I must get back to it after kids go back to school---may see you there.

Tilly Mint 03-09-09 19:19

I have been twice now, i dont know what it is with me - i felt i was out right of my depth :eek:. i really struggled in there, people were kind and showed me what was what, but it went in one ear and out the other :o

I need to try again..........sometime.

Glad you enjoyed it and got some info lozaras:)

Uncle John 03-09-09 19:44

I've only clocked up one visit. Had to be shown how to thread up a film reel but at least I didn't drop it on the floor.