Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Probably an impossible question (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=167)

Muggins in Sussex 29-08-09 14:00

Probably an impossible question

LOL!!! - So I don't mind if no one answers!!! :d:d:d

I have spent years trying to discover someone's identity.

I know the person's forename, his D.O.B. (in 1919), and his baptism date (I think).

But what I don't know is his surname!

Any ideas where I should start?

Thanks

kiterunner 29-08-09 14:06

Do you know where he was born? And where he was baptised?

Olde Crone 29-08-09 14:06

Not an impossible question, but a nearly impossible task!

You could go through the GRO index for 1919, noting every instance of the forename you have. You could then try to marry or kill them off one by one from the indexes.

In theory, the last one left will be yours but as we all know in this game, theory and practice rarely match.

OC

Nell 29-08-09 14:07

Erm - so what do you know about this person? I suppose you could trawl through all the birth indexes now they are transcribed for the quarter(s) he was born - I assume you could narrow it down by county if not registration district?

Or you'd need to check the baptism registers, though I suppose if his name was William or John you wouldn't know if you'd found the right chap.

Or - if he is dead, you could check 1984-2005 death indexes on Ancestry using his dob as a check?

Muggins in Sussex 29-08-09 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 3151)
Do you know where he was born? And where he was baptised?

Sadly I don't have any idea where he was born, Kite - not even sure which country!

I had a clue as to the church where the baptism took place, but someone kindly checked the records for me and found nothing.

I just have a dated photo of the person in what apppears to be a christening robe ....it could really have been anywhere ( although quite possibly in the Manchester area.) The photo has a forename but no surname!

Thank you

Muggins in Sussex 29-08-09 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olde Crone (Post 3152)
Not an impossible question, but a nearly impossible task!

You could go through the GRO index for 1919, noting every instance of the forename you have. You could then try to marry or kill them off one by one from the indexes.

In theory, the last one left will be yours but as we all know in this game, theory and practice rarely match.

OC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nell (Post 3154)
Erm - so what do you know about this person? I suppose you could trawl through all the birth indexes now they are transcribed for the quarter(s) he was born - I assume you could narrow it down by county if not registration district?

Or you'd need to check the baptism registers, though I suppose if his name was William or John you wouldn't know if you'd found the right chap.

Or - if he is dead, you could check 1984-2005 death indexes on Ancestry using his dob as a check?

Thanks OC and Nell.

I started trawling, but it seemed, as OC says, impossible!! LOL - it felt as though as was doing the family tree of everyone in the country!!

I then narrowed it done a bit by finding all the people born with that forename in that quarter by using Family Relatives... but even then, there were several I couldn't eliminate.

Nell, he is still alive ! And I know quite a lot about him, but as he is still alive, I can't say

Margaret in Burton 29-08-09 14:23

Joan

Have you tried FreeBMD just putting in the first name?

Muggins in Sussex 29-08-09 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton (Post 3180)
Joan

Have you tried FreeBMD just putting in the first name?

Thanks Margaret :d

Yes, I have tried that.

This person is a very close relative, and the whole thing drives me to distraction sometimes...particularly as I am sure the person knows the answers but won't tell me - LOL

Kit 30-08-09 03:02

Joan how many are there with the first name in the time frame you are looking at?

If there aren't many, or aren't many you can't rule out, maybe you could apply to the GRO specifying the DOB as a way to rule out those who aren't yours.

I think I know who you are after. Good luck.

HarrysMum 30-08-09 05:13

Muggins..................I know it sounds dumb..........lol......but sometimes I need to just sit and do something really mind numbing.

If you want to pm the first name and dob, I'll trawl for you.