PDA

View Full Version : Naturalised British Subject Q

Merry
17-05-11, 10:33
Research for a friend, so nothing to add to BK6

I am writing a blurb about someone who became a Naturalised Subject in 1911. I have the date he swore his oath from the Gazette and have seen his naturalisation papers on TNA index, but the person I'm doing this for doesn't wish to pay for the record. In order to pad out what I do know, I wondered where a person would go to swear the oath? I have googled without any luck, so wondered if there is any info on anyone elses naturalisation papers from the same era which might give me a clue, or anything else of interest on anyone elses papers that might be of interest.

Lindsay
17-05-11, 17:50
I have a photocopy of my g-grandfather's 'Certificate of Naturalization to an Alien' from 1888.

TBH it doesn't say much other than the legal bits you'd expect, although it does say he signed it before a (Commissioner?) for Oaths of 49 Finsbury Pavement London. The bit he signed says 'I, xxx, do swear I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria. her heirs and successors, according to law, so help me God.'

There seems to be an agent of some sort involved - Mr. H Panzer of Leatherseller's Buildings, London Wall. There's a letter to Mr Panzer, saying that before the Cert of Naturalisation can be granted he must pay a fee of £5 at the Home Office (room 57) between 12 o'clock and 8 o'clock , either in gold or bank of England note, or by a Post Office Order in favour of Godfrey Lushington esq, C.B., made payable at the Charing Cross Post Office.

Not sure how much would have changed by 1911!

Merry
18-05-11, 07:14
Thanks very much, Lindsay, I'm sure I can pad my info out with some of that!!

garstonite
19-05-11, 06:53
Merry...my FIL was a Prisoner of War....I can find out where he went for his papers.in 1949..or would that be different as he was a POW ??

Merry
19-05-11, 10:19
I don't know Allan. Anything you tell us is interesting, but I have to pass on the info for my contact this afternoon, so don't worry on my account as it would be too late :)