PDA

View Full Version : Mary Holland ??

garstonite
14-05-11, 10:56
Ralph Oakes married Mary Holland at St Oswald , Chester church on 14th feb 1726..I am trying to establish whether these are my 7 X G grandparents

so....my Oakes family moved from Over,Cheshire around 1774 and the last 4 of 14 children to Ralph Oakes and Mary Trelfa were babtised in St Oswalds ,Chester...
Ralph and Mary were married in St Chads ,Over in 1758 on 2nd Jan
Ralph was babtised 17th July 1727 in the St Chads..father Ralph Oakes

am I being very optimistic by thinking that Ralph and Mary moved back to the area in Chester from Over ......because that`s where Ralphs father was from and married ??
basically I see Ralph and Mary marrying in St Oswalds ....moving to Over....having children...first born Ralph Oakes b 1727....then after Ralph b 1727 has 10 children...he moves back to where his dad was from...and Ralphs last 4 children are babtised in the church where his mum and dad married ??
could anyone please try and find an Oakes babtism around 1730 at St Oswalds ,Chester - father Ralph / mother Mary ( Holland )...if there is one...this will kill off any interest in Ralph Oakes and Mary Holland
I hope this isn`t too confusing....allan..

Merry
14-05-11, 11:04
Nothing to do with your query and I am probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but did you know until 1881 the parish 'church' for St Oswald's was in the South transept of Chester Cathedral? I only learned this last Thursday!

garstonite
14-05-11, 11:24
No Merry I didn`t know that...I have searched CPRDb and Family Search Record Pilot and I can`t find any ...but quite a few for Ralph and Mary in St Chads ,Over...I am a little frustrated ...cos realistically I don`t think I will ever prove that Ralph Oakes and Mary Holland were the parents of Ralph Oakes babtised 17/7/1727 in St Chads ,Over
allan

kiterunner
14-05-11, 13:38
Ralph Oakes married Mary Holland at St Oswald , Chester church on 14th feb 1726..I am trying to establish whether these are my 7 X G grandparents

so....my Oakes family moved from Over,Cheshire around 1774 and the last 4 of 14 children to Ralph Oakes and Mary Trelfa were babtised in St Oswalds ,Chester...
Ralph and Mary were married in St Chads ,Over in 1758 on 2nd Jan
Ralph was babtised 17th July 1727 in the St Chads..father Ralph Oakes

am I being very optimistic by thinking that Ralph and Mary moved back to the area in Chester from Over ......because that`s where Ralphs father was from and married ??
basically I see Ralph and Mary marrying in St Oswalds ....moving to Over....having children...first born Ralph Oakes b 1727....then after Ralph b 1727 has 10 children...he moves back to where his dad was from...and Ralphs last 4 children are babtised in the church where his mum and dad married ??
could anyone please try and find an Oakes babtism around 1730 at St Oswalds ,Chester - father Ralph / mother Mary ( Holland )...if there is one...this will kill off any interest in Ralph Oakes and Mary Holland
I hope this isn`t too confusing....allan..

The Ralph Oakes who married Mary Holland at St Oswald, Chester, may not have actually lived in Chester. Could be that was just where Mary lived. Or have you seen the parish register entry and found that it says Ralph lived in the parish? (Not all pre-1754 marriages bother to say what parish the people lived in, though.)

Anyway, there is a Ralph Oakes baptism at St Chad's, Over, 14 or 24 Jun 1702, father John Oakes, so I would think he is likely to be your Ralph senior, but you still need to find out whether he is the same Ralph who married Mary Holland. FamilySearch lists them in Cheshire Marriage Bonds and Allegations, so if the PR entry doesn't give Ralph's parish, maybe the marriage bond / allegation will. Unfortunately the images for these aren't online but you can order it from Cheshire Archives (or presumably you can look at it if you go there).

garstonite
14-05-11, 14:34
Thanks Kiterunner...Chester isn`t that far from me so next time Ann wants to go shopping there I will pop in to the office there ...it`s right by the racecourse....probably go in the summer....thanx again...allan