PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm

Asa
13-05-11, 12:32
I *think* and feel that this should be Eleanor Jenkins Ford but the problems begin with my great great grandmother, Ann/ Anne/ Anna/ Annie Carr formerly Strachan for whom there doesn't appear to be a baptism, birth registration or marriage.

In 1881 Anne is at 7 Netherland Place, Islington Piece: 229; Folio: 83; Page: 16 with husband Charles Carr as head of house and Ellen Strong 73 born St Luke's widow and servant as 'grandmother'. She doesn't belong to the Carr family and I'm fairly sure is Anne's mother.

I haven't found Eleanor in 1861 or 1871 but in the latter she is likely to be in the missing part of Grays Inn / Pancras.

In 1851, I think this is Eleanor and daughter Anne with the rest of the family in Grays Inn Lane (I'm certain the next door neighbour being Charles Carr is coincidental) - I don't see who else Nancy Strachan could be and I don't see anyone else who could be my Anne. Anne's first son was called Charles Alexander and she also had children named Annie Margaret, Ellen and William John.

Piece: 1495; Folio: 615; Page: 69
A(l)exander Strachan head 49 optical glass grinder journeyman born City of London
Helen wife 44 Clerkenwell
Margaret 19 milliner St Luke's
Henry 17 journeyman butcher St Luke's
Alexander 14 errand boy
William 12 Shoreditch
Nancy 3 Whitechapel
John 1 Pancras

This family are in Shoreditch in 1841 - Piece 706; Book: 4; Folio: 16; Page: 25

Alexander Strawn 38 optician y
Ellenor 28 y
Margaret 9 y
Henry 7 y
Alexander 5 y
Andrew 3
William 3 weeks

Alexander Strong and Eleanor Jenkins Ford married 12 Sep 1831 St Luke Old Street (with serial witnesses) and Eleanor was baptised 3 Sep 1809 at St Luke's (born 14th Jul 1809) daughter of William and Ann. I have the baptisms for all of their children except Anne/ Nancy and possibly John. Alexander died in 1870 and I'm pretty confident that Eleanor died in Islington Infirmary 9 Apr 1886 aged 70 (sic) and was buried at Islington Cemetery in Finchley on the 17th - however the death certificate is no help.

Phoenix
13-05-11, 12:40
What on earth happened to that family in the interim? It looks as if two if not three children must have died between William and Nancy.

Phoenix
13-05-11, 12:42
Do you have Andrew's death? That might give an additional address.

Asa
13-05-11, 14:27
Thanks Phoenix I think I have his burial somewhere (not at home at the minute) and I think it's another imperfect match. Will find it out later

kiterunner
13-05-11, 15:21
It might help if we could find a death registration for Ellen so you could see if her death was registered by daughter Anne, but I can't find one that looks right.

Asa
13-05-11, 15:57
That's another reason for me thinking that Ellen Strong is Eleanor Strachan but unfortunately nothing on the cert to help

Asa
13-05-11, 16:47
Here's the probable Andrew - on Ancestry, Andrew Stroughan of Britannia Street buried Apr 1849 St Pancras but his age is down as 7 whereas he should be 10. Helpful.