PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Luckman (FFMMM)

Mary from Italy
13-05-11, 11:41
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Sarah Luckman

Date and place of birth
30th September 1777 in Shifnal, Shropshire.

Names of parents
Faithful Luckman and Mary Luckock

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
10th October 1777 at St Andrew's church, Shifnal, Shropshire.

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Joseph Titley at St Peter and St Paul's church, Aston, Warwickshire, on 28th November 1803.

Occupation(s) - if any
1841: no occupation listed.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841: John St., St Mary's, Birmingham, Warwickshire

Date, place and cause of death
14/2/1847 at 3 John Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Date and place of burial.
Not known.

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
None found.

Memorial inscription - if any
Not known.

The only information I have about Sarah comes from the death cert of her daughter Ann Kelly, who died in Australia, and obviously the reliability of the information on the cert depends on what was known to the informant (a daughter of Ann's).

According to Ann's death cert she was born in Birmingham, England c. 1825, parents Joseph Teakle (an outrider) and Sarah, and married twice in Australia, but I've never found either of her marriages, which is a pity, because the certs should have given her parents' full names.

I've also never found when and how Ann emigrated to Australia, so I don't know when she went, whether she was a convict or not, whether she went with her parents, or they stayed in England. She was certainly in Australia by 1852 when the first child by her second marriage was born, and according to her death cert she had been in Australia since about 1840 (in Tasmania from about 1840-1852 and then in NSW).

So far I haven't found a likely baptism for Ann in England or a likely marriage for her parents Joseph and Sarah, nor have I found any of them on the 1841 census.

To complicate things, as I said in the thread about Ann, her surname is spelled differently on every certificate I have. The spellings I've collected so far are Teakle (the version given on the death cert), Tickle (the most common version), Tickles, Titlin, Titland, Tittlen, Fittlen, Little, and Didley, but Tickell is also a possibility.

Edit: On the basis of overwhelming DNA evidence, I believe Ann's parents must be Joseph Titley and Sarah Luckman.