PDA

View Full Version : Ann Batten (Week 26 FFMMM)

Merry
13-05-11, 08:46
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Mrs Easton, the wife of William Easton. First name probably Ann

Date and place of birth

Probably in the 1780s and probably in Somerset

Names of parents

Unknown

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

To William Easton, probably before 1820, probably in Somerset

Occupation(s) - if any

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

William Easton b abt 1787 has Ann Easton after him on the 1841 census at Bishop's Sutton, Chew Magna, Somerset. They are both recorded as aged 50. William is a widower on the following census.

Date, place and cause of death

1841-1851 Probably this one:

Deaths Jun 1846
Easton Ann Clutton 11 70

Date and place of burial.

Unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Unknown

Memorial inscription - if any

Unknown

I have not bought Ann's death cert as I would rather find baptisms for William's children first to see what forename their mother has, in case Ann isn't the right woman!

The only children I'm aware of are:

Eliza Easton b abt 1820 in Chew Magna, Somerset (my gg-grandmother)
James Easton b abt 1821 in Chew Magna, Somerset

These two had their father living with them on various censuses.

William Easton was b about 1787 at Compton Martin, Somerset and died in 1872 at Stowey, Somerset.

kiterunner
13-05-11, 12:22
Oooh, I've found Eliza's baptism!

3 Jan 1819 Eliza Eason, Chew Magna, parents William and Ann of Sutton, labourer.

Then there is a James Eason baptised 20 May 1821 also at Chew Magna, parents given as James and Ann Eason of B Sutton, labourer. I wonder whether the father's name is wrong?

These are from the transcription that you can download from here:
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/famhistory/somerset/transcripts.htm

kiterunner
13-05-11, 12:27
Hmph, they come up on FreeREG when you know what surname to search for. Shame that Soundex doesn't think Eason and Easton go together!

Also an Elizabeth Eason 7 May 1820, parents James and Ann Eason of Bishop's Sutton, labourer.

kiterunner
13-05-11, 12:45
If that death is the right one, then her burial is on FreeREG:
4 Jun 1846 Anne Easton of Bishop Sutton, age 57, buried at St Andrew, Chew Magna.

Merry
13-05-11, 13:29
Thanks Kate - that's great!!

Pity about James' baptism :( Actually I realise now I had made an assumption as it's the 1841 census where Wm and James appear together (I was sure it was later or something else more concrete than that, which just goes to show - never trust your memory!). There are a couple of other possible children for Wm and Ann in 1841, so I will look for them too........

From the same source I have found

At Chew Magna 15th March 1815 William Eason, bachelor, married Ann Batten, spinster, both OTP. Witnesses William Batten and Richard Battern

Baps for the other children from 1841 at Chew Magna:

Ann bap 13th July 1828 dau of Wm and Ann Easton of Sutton
Rosena bap 16th Oct 1831 dau of Wm and Ann Easton of Sutton

Plus several others who are children of James and Ann, so probably the only way to know if there is a mistake with James will be to get his marriage cert, which I won't be doing!

Also I found this at Chew Magna:

1st Jan 1793 bap Ann dau of Josiah and Ann Batten

:)

Thanks again, Kate :)

Merry
13-05-11, 15:16
Clearly I am losing the plot as I've just looked at James Easton again and I have found he WAS living with William Easton in 1851 relationship to head - SON. So, that's why I added him as a child of William, not just because of the 1841 census!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=SOMHO107_1938_1939-0410&fn=James&ln=Eston&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7423602

(the wife in the Sage family following William and James is Eliza Easton bap 1819)

So, maybe there is a mistake with either the trascription or original entry in 1821, and given the 'other' couple were James and Ann, I'm thinking the vicar may have made an error!