PDA

View Full Version : Emily Clode/Fleming

elite61
06-05-11, 14:46
I have come to a dead end researching an aunt, which I didn't know I had until I started to research my family tree. Emily is shown on the 1901 census as being an illegitamate daughter. On delving further I found that she was born to my grandmother, Martha Lucretia Clode, in 1891. My grandmother was 18yrs at the time and didn't marry until 1897. I am sure that my father, his 2 brothers and one other sister, did not know of Emily's exsistance as she was never mentioned.

I sent for her birth certificate hoping to find a fathers name but no name is given. Emily was born on 28th January 1891 in Queen Charlottes Hospital Marylebone London and the birth was registered, by my grandmother, on 31st January 1891.

I found that Emily married in 1917 a William Edward Fleming at Hambledon registry Office in Surrey. William was a sapper in 15th Coy Pioneers stationed at Camp Witley. Could he have been a Canadian? Emily's father on the marriage certificate is down as Samuel Clode (deceased). This could not have been her father as he died in 1887 and would have been her grandfather. I understand that it was a common practise to use the grandfathers name if a child was illegitamate? I cannot find any trace of either Emily or William after their wedding.

I have some 1st cousins around somewhere and would dearly like to meet them! Can anyone help.

Merry
06-05-11, 15:36
There's a ship called The Corsican travelling from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal Canada which departed 19th Sept 1919. One passenger is Emily Fleming age not recorded, occ housewife. Sadly there is no William with her to help confirm it's the right person, so may easily not be! Of course he might have travelled back with the army - I guess that's most likely.

Merry
06-05-11, 15:38
I forgot to say welcome to the site! :)

Merry
06-05-11, 16:05
This probably isn't her either as the dob is two days off!

U.S. Social Security Death Index

Emily FLEMING
Birth Date: 26 Jan 1891
Death Date: Jan 1969
Social Security Number: 524-72-6765
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Colorado

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 80223
Localities: Denver, Denver, Colorado

kiterunner
06-05-11, 17:19
What details are given for William's father on the marriage certificate, please? Oh, and how old is William on the marriage cert?

kiterunner
06-05-11, 17:34
There's a ship called The Corsican travelling from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal Canada which departed 19th Sept 1919. One passenger is Emily Fleming age not recorded, occ housewife. Sadly there is no William with her to help confirm it's the right person, so may easily not be! Of course he might have travelled back with the army - I guess that's most likely.

On the "Canadian Passenger Lists" on ancestry Emily's age is 28 which would be right. Birthplace England, destination Vancouver. Married, never been to Canada before.

kiterunner
06-05-11, 17:44
There is someone on ancestry who has William Edward Fleming and Emily Clode in their family tree and they show Emily as being in Pasadena, Los Angeles, California on the 1930 census. I had a look at the image and she is a servant, age 39, divorced, born England, immigrated to the US in 1919, working as a cook in a private home. I think it says "Na" for Naturalised but hard to tell if it's Na or No!

It might be worth you contacting the tree owner to swop information, if you have an ancestry sub?

kiterunner
06-05-11, 18:11
I have some 1st cousins around somewhere and would dearly like to meet them! Can anyone help.

Sorry, only just noticed this bit of your post - are you talking about Emily's children or some other cousins? If they are Emily's, do you know for sure that she had any children?

kiterunner
06-05-11, 18:30
Just found another passenger list on ancestry in the New York Passenger Lists - list of US citizens on the SS Ile de France sailing from Le Havre 19th Nov 1927, arriving New York 15th Nov 1927.

Name FLEMING Emily, age 36, I think it says W for widowed, but could be M for married, it's hard to make out, naturalised by marriage, "Guelfird Sussey Sept 6th 1917", address in the United States Pasadena, Cal, 320 Vaverley Drive.

So that ties the Emily on the 1930 census up nicely with your Emily, doesn't it?

elite61
06-05-11, 18:57
I forgot to say welcome to the site! :)

Thank you for your quick reply!

elite61
06-05-11, 18:59

I don't think they would have travelled from the south of england to Scotland but thank you for posting.

elite61
06-05-11, 19:01
Williams father - William Fleming (deceased) Railway mechanic. William Edward was 27 when married.

Uncle John
06-05-11, 20:06
I don't think they would have travelled from the south of england to Scotland but thank you for posting.

If you are sailing to the USA you have to go to where the ship is. Apart from Glasgow the only significant seaport was Liverpool.

Janet
06-05-11, 20:47
I dare say that is Waverly Drive in Pasadena, not Vaverley.

I won't post any details in case of living persons, but I Googled genealogy "320 Waverly" Pasadena and a possibly interesting lead dating from 1922 turned up at the top of the list. An employer?

That second search result, the PDF, is very strange; seems like somebody's work of fiction. I scanned it 3 ways for viruses and found nothing, but I don't think it holds any interest and is probably best left alone.

kiterunner
06-05-11, 22:00
I was pretty sure it should be Waverley, Janet. The typist obviously had a lot of trouble reading some handwriting.

Elite61, just wondering whether you've read the rest of the posts on this thread?

elite61
06-05-11, 22:44
There is someone on ancestry who has William Edward Fleming and Emily Clode in their family tree and they show Emily as being in Pasadena, Los Angeles, California on the 1930 census. I had a look at the image and she is a servant, age 39, divorced, born England, immigrated to the US in 1919, working as a cook in a private home. I think it says "Na" for Naturalised but hard to tell if it's Na or No!

It might be worth you contacting the tree owner to swop information, if you have an ancestry sub?

The tree is mine! I too looked at the 1930 census and found an Emily there and added to my tree. A little bit too enthousiastic me thinks! Could be my Emily but then couldn't find anything else about her.

kiterunner
06-05-11, 22:47
Ah, right. Well, it is definitely your Emily on that census because of the passenger list entry I found that is in post #9 on this thread. I haven't managed to find anything after 1930, though.

elite61
06-05-11, 22:48
Just found another passenger list on ancestry in the New York Passenger Lists - list of US citizens on the SS Ile de France sailing from Le Havre 19th Nov 1927, arriving New York 15th Nov 1927.

Name FLEMING Emily, age 36, I think it says W for widowed, but could be M for married, it's hard to make out, naturalised by marriage, "Guelfird Sussey Sept 6th 1917", address in the United States Pasadena, Cal, 320 Vaverley Drive.

So that ties the Emily on the 1930 census up nicely with your Emily, doesn't it?
Thanks for this and yes it could be my Emily. Naturalised by marriage " Guelfird Sussy" is actually "Guildford Surrey" which is on the marriage cetificate!

kiterunner
07-05-11, 10:27
Yes, I realise that; as I said, the typist seems to have had trouble deciphering some handwriting.