PDA

View Full Version : Findmypast launches a new website for Irish tracing

Janet Chiltern Borders
06-05-11, 09:34
Genealogists tracing Irish links will have new online access to records following the launch of a comprehensive new website.

Go to Findmypast website for more details on Findmypast ie

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/news/news-item.jsp?doc=FMPIE.html

Janet

kiterunner
06-05-11, 13:02
Thanks for the heads-up, Janet! I'm off for a good look around it, but just a few things I've noticed so far -

Not much census info, which isn't surprising as the pre-1901 censuses are nearly all destroyed and the 1901 and 1911 are free on the Irish National Archives website.

The BMD section doesn't include any births or baptisms, and relatively few marriages; it's mostly deaths and wills.

Lots of directories.

Griffith's Valuation, but that is available free elsewhere.

The Travel & Migration section looks quite bizarre at the moment but presumably they will be adding lots of records of emigration from Ireland in the future? At the moment this is what it says:
Migration is a key part of Ireland's story. Our travel & migration records will give you insights into your ancestors as they moved from Ireland around the globe.

Find out more about some of the key records included in this section:

Transatlantic Migration from North America to Britain & Ireland 1858-1870

I would advise making sure there are lots of records that you want to look at before taking out a subscription (37.95 Euros for 6 months or 59.95 Euros for 12 months) as you can buy pay-as-you-go credits if there are only a few records you want to see (9.95 Euros for 100 credits or 24.95 Euros for 300). The number of credits you need to view a record varies from 5 (for Directories) to 30 (for Estate records). Most cost 10 or 20 credits. Also, if you do buy pay-as-you-go credits, check whether the information you are going to view is available somewhere else before using up credits!

Janet Chiltern Borders
06-05-11, 13:26
I did find a few things of interest which I have never found on other sites but it does not equate to FMP UK so you do either have to take out a sub or credits.

The one good thing about it is that you can get a good way into the site for information for free to be able to decide whether or not to pay your money and I did get far enough in for me to be quite excited by some of the information on there, including some interesting wills, rebels and estate records not see elsewhere so I guess it is a question of putting your toe in to see what comes up!:) I understand that some Irish parish records will be available eventually. I also noticed that more of mine came up on Griffiths so I shall be just using the free access part for now.

Remember also that Griffiths Index is nowhere near as valuable as the Full Griffiths Valuation, but again Full Griffiths is on Irish Origins at a modest cost. There is a site for free Full Griffiths Valuation but not sure if this was ever completed nor did I think it was as good as Irish Origins. Last time I looked it was nowhere near complete.

Janet

kiterunner
06-05-11, 13:58
Is it this one, Janet?

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Janet Chiltern Borders
06-05-11, 15:09
Thanks Kite I had not seen it for some time and had forgotten the website so have put it back into favourites. More on there than before though there are 15 of mine on FMP and only 12 on here so..... The map is OKIsh but I have seen much better maps and I could not find a way of turning the map around so I could see it without craning my neck sideways, still it is free!

Janet