PDA

View Full Version : Any idea who his parents were?

Joan of Archives
27-09-09, 16:32
Or where I should look next?

John Hucks, a cooper married Sarah Halfhide in St Saviours Bermondsey on 16 November 1802.

Their first son John James Hucks was baptised at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey on 18 December 1803.

Now I know there was a cluster of families with this surname in the area they are all related, I am trying to connect them up. Some have great names like Orlando & Cordelia & Knowler lol!! :d

Anyway, I think these Hucks are originally related to the same Mr Hucks who was once chief brewer to George I :rolleyes:

The trail has gone cold now because I cannot find John Hucks senior's baptism. I would guess it would have been about 1780 as he was a batchelor when he married. I have trawled through the baptisms at St Mary Magdalenes but no joy, although I found a couple of children from a marriage to a Robert Hucks & Elizabeth, they didn't have a child called John, or at least he wasn't baptised there.

Any ideas as to where to look next would be appreciated.
:)

kiterunner
27-09-09, 16:47
Who were the witnesses at John and Sarah's marriage, Joan?

Nell
27-09-09, 16:55
The general advice would be to trawl through all the baptism registers in Bermondsey and then the surrounding parishes.

Joan of Archives
27-09-09, 16:58
Hi Kite

They were Henry Knabschuch Elizabeth Sumpter (these two married each other later) Elizabeth Hucks, and Mary ? Hucks. Married by banns unfortunately on the 6th November 1802 at St Mary Magdalene, both single from the Parish.

I'll post up the link to the page on the LMA record if you can't find them.

:)

Joan of Archives
27-09-09, 17:01
The general advice would be to trawl through all the baptism registers in Bermondsey and then the surrounding parishes.

I've done the likely years on St Mary Magdalene Nell, but I am not that familiar with that area to be honest. I don't think St Saviour covers the time period I need? Any others that would be nearby I should be looking at?

kiterunner
27-09-09, 17:52
Have you found a burial for John, and if so, does it give his age at death?

kiterunner
27-09-09, 17:53
I've done the likely years on St Mary Magdalene Nell, but I am not that familiar with that area to be honest. I don't think St Saviour covers the time period I need? Any others that would be nearby I should be looking at?

You could try St Olave Bermondsey next, then the other parishes that come under Southwark.

Joan of Archives
27-09-09, 18:06
I don't know when John snr died, before 1837 I guess! I think Sarah died aged 37 in 1817 but I can't be 100% sure though. I can't find any death for him in the LMA records, & don't have a FMP sub at the moment to check the NBI.

MargaretMarch
27-09-09, 18:33
I don't know when John snr died, before 1837 I guess! I think Sarah died aged 37 in 1817 but I can't be 100% sure though. I can't find any death for him in the LMA records, & don't have a FMP sub at the moment to check the NBI.

I don't think you need a subscription to FMP to see the list of burials, you just have to pay to see more details. I've just had a quick look and there a number of surname Hucks buried in Surrey and one John 1782.
Margaret

Joan of Archives
27-09-09, 19:15
Hi Margaret

Do you mean he was born in 1782? :confused: When was he buried do you know? :)