PDA

View Full Version : 1664 Hearth Database Cornwall OPC

tenterfieldjulie
03-05-11, 12:17
I cannot get back any further with my Brian/Bryan/Briant ancestors than the children of John and Mary of St. Hilary being born between 1767 and 1780. Alexander in born 1775. On Cornwall OPC I found John Bryant on the 1664 Hearth Database - Hundred of Penwith, Parish or Reg District of Camborne - there are three entries.
1. says Return Entry: 2 ex.
2. says Return Entry: 1 ex poor not ratable etc.
3. says Return Entry: 2 now Alex Bryant and ret 1 too many b.m. - New Taxpayer Forename alex - New Taxpayer surname BRYANT.
I know this is 100 years earlier, but I am trying to understand what the Return Entry notes mean please.

kiterunner
03-05-11, 13:49
Have you already read the info about it, Julie?

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/extra-searches/hearth-tax/hearth-tax-background/

tenterfieldjulie
03-05-11, 22:14
Thanks Kate. No I hadn't seen that sorry. I was too excited to find it ..Very interesting -I interprete it as John was charged 2 sh in March, fell on hard times and only charged 1 for Sept which was declared not rateable poor, then it looks like Alex had moved in and paid his father? John's and another 2 for himself and over paid. It would be interesting to see the original records. Thank you.