PDA

View Full Version : Agnes downing

carolosunny
02-05-11, 18:57
I'm trying to find any information on Agnes Downing who died in Manchester December 1966 aged 78. She was married to William Henry Downing who died in 1958. They are buried together.Any information on either people would be great :)

Olde Crone
02-05-11, 19:19
As they didn't marry until 1946, that suggests that either one or both had been married before. You need their marriage cert.

June 1946 Manchester 8d 916

William H Downing to Agnes McDougall.

OC

carolosunny
02-05-11, 20:48
Thank you for your reply :) I know William was married before to Mary Price and Edith Wallace...busy man eh? lol. Edith Wallace died in 1929 and we were told she died in childbirth (people said it was during giving birth to James but he was born in 1928 so it couldn't have been) anyway looking at records today I found a birth and death for Annie Downing Daughter of Edith Wallace but I can't find any burial records....Edith was buried in a paupers grave and there is no mention of the child... would there be another place where babies are specially buried? I find it strange she's not with her Mum.

Merry
02-05-11, 21:07
Looking at the difference in the page number between the death registrations for Edith and her daughter, Annie presumably died before Edith:

Deaths Mar 1929
Downing Annie 0 Manchester S. 8d 46
Downing Edith 32 Manchester S. 8d 53

Though as there were hundreds and hundreds of registrations in South Manchester this may represent a very short length of time indeed. Maybe Annie was buried before Edith. Did you check the preceding burials?

carolosunny
02-05-11, 21:25
Hi Merry
Edith was buried 9th February 1929 so you think the baby was buried before her? Ive checked the cemetary records and there is no Annie :( They wouldn't have buried her with Edith and not recorded it would they? X

Merry
02-05-11, 21:27
They may have done. If you have checked back a few days before and there is nothing, then that would seem the most likely scenario.

carolosunny
02-05-11, 21:33
Hi again
you were right. Little baby Annie was buried before her Mum in a grave with lots of other people...this was 30th January 1929. Edith didn't actually die in childbirth then but a few days later. At least I can go and visit baby Annie now XX thanxs for your help XX

Olde Crone
03-05-11, 19:55
Sounds as if she died from complications of childbirth though. The death cert will clarify that of course.

OC