PDA

View Full Version : World Wide Ancestry help if possible please

Sally
26-04-11, 20:28
I have two requests for help here:
I wonder if anybody could take a look at the Mecklenburg records section, 1867 Census.........the person in question is Emma David born 1846, and she appears on a separate page to her parents Davidson David and Johanna David with their household. Although I cannot read German, it would seem that this census includes children who are not living in the house at the time, and gives their city of residence.

Emma's page also includes two of her brothers, Rudolf and Adolf who were living in London and Hamburg respectively. However, I cannot for the life of me work out the place name for Emma.

Secondly - I can see that there are records for Jewish births, marriages and deaths, but there is no way of narrowing the pages down so that I can make use of my measly credits! If anybody with WWA has the time, please could you look for the marriage of the above Emma David to Heinrich Josephy - it would have been sometime between 1867 and 1881. Once I know the page number in the records then I can access it. I realise that this may be time consuming, so will not be offended if nobody bothers!!!!

Kit
27-04-11, 07:31
I would think the place is place of birth but I can't read german but incase anyone can what does this say?

Bermuthlicher Aufenthaltsort (not sure its an s) I can't make out the last 2 words.

The link is : Emma David (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=1066&path=Stadt+Sternberg.Sternberg.846)

the words i couldn't read may be :

zur bahlungszeit with an omlout (sp?) above the a.

It is interesting the parents have a different census page to Emma.

Kit
27-04-11, 07:42
Can you tell me what Jewish database you are looking at. I tried the poland marriages one and no emma david came up but there did not appear to be a way tp browse either.

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 07:43
"Aufenthaltsort" means residence, abode, domicile.

Bermuthlicher - I can't view the page because I don't have access to Ancestry Worldwide. If someone else could look and try to work out the spelling I'll have another stab!

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 07:45
Toni, would it be possible to post part of the image?

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 07:48
On reflection, I think it probably says "zur Zählungszeit" - at the time of the census.

So, "? abode at the time the census was taken".

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 07:52
Could it be "vermutlicher Aufenthaltsort" - probable, presumptive abode?

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 07:57
Although I cannot read German, it would seem that this census includes children who are not living in the house at the time, and gives their city of residence.

Emma's page also includes two of her brothers, Rudolf and Adolf who were living in London and Hamburg respectively. However, I cannot for the life of me work out the place name for Emma.

Ok , having read the above again it seems that Emma's parents were filling in her details, saying where they thought she was living, so what I thought is probably correct:

"Probable abode at the time of the census".

vermutlicher Aufenthaltsort zur Zählungszeit

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 08:03
Toni, can you read where she was living? Old German handwriting can be very difficult to decipher.

Kit
27-04-11, 09:43
Sorry Elizabeth I've been away.

I couldn't really read where she was living. Maybe Hottin. It's definitely an ollin but there is a line across the l's which either makes it a tt or is off the first letter or letters.

I've searched Stadt for the Mecklenburg, Germany, Jewish Birth, Marriage, and Death Records, 1813-1918. There are a few Josephy's, mainly August, but I have no idea if they were birth, death or marriage records.

The image is here (hopefully), Emma is the middle place.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x61/KitTheKat1/German.jpg

PS: I'm sorry I don't have time to search all the jewish records.

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 10:36
I don't think it starts with an H as it doesn't look the same as the H of Hamburg.

Janet
27-04-11, 14:29
That says Stettin, Kit, otherwise known as Szczecin, now in Poland (but it has gone back and forth as the border fluctuated).

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 14:30
That says Stettin, Kit, otherwise known as Szczecin, now in Poland (but it has gone back and forth as the border fluctuated).

I wondered if that were the case, Janet, but didn't trust me eyes. I should have used my magnifier!:)

Sally
27-04-11, 19:35
I am so sorry to be so late in coming back to all your replies.

Janet thank you so much.......even using my magnifier on the image I couldn't work out what it was, but then I am not familiar with all the place names.

I have no idea what Emma was doing over there, but it must have been very close to her marriage to Heinrich Josephy.

Thank you so much all of you for taking the time and trouble over this.......the translation above the entry confirms what I thought that Rudolph, Emma and Adolf were entered on the census on a different page as they were living elsewhere.

Sally
27-04-11, 19:40
Kit, thank you very much for trying to find the marriage records for Emma and Heinrich. It seems that the database is not very easy to navigate! I used up an awful lot of credits getting absolutely nowhere.

Thank you again

Sally
27-04-11, 19:43
Elizabeth, thank you for all your time and trouble. Now if you can just tell me what Emma was doing in Stettin I would be most grateful:d!

Janet
27-04-11, 19:54
Elizabeth, I Googled "Stettin 1866" and my elementary German would indicate a cholera epidemic there. Am I reading that right?

Sally
27-04-11, 19:59
Even more perplexing then Janet......... Emma was certainly a very formidable and correct lady, but was she a nurse? I honestly don't know without a marriage record or something similar, and after her Naturalisation in this country she didn't work at all.

If she really was over there in the midst of a cholera epidemic that is intriguing

ElizabethHerts
27-04-11, 20:08
Janet, yes, there appears to have been a cholera epidemic in Stettin in 1866.

I wonder how long Emma was in Stettin?

Sally
27-04-11, 20:11
*wonders if have become invisible;(!

Elizabeth, she was a naturalised British subject living in England in 1881, so given that she had to get married come over here, AND have a few children, she could not have been there long after 1867. However, she could have been there for several years before this.

Emma and Heinrich's first child was born in 1872, in Leeds.

Janet
27-04-11, 21:51
Sally, I'm no expert but couldn't she have had cholera and survived? Perhaps she wasn't well enough to travel? And/or could there have been a quarantine in place that would have prevented her leaving whether she was personally ill or not?

Kit
28-04-11, 01:02

I wondered about an S but decided it didn't look right. :rolleyes: Having no sense of geography I had no idea.

Sally could you not get a 14 day trial at ancestry to have a look at the records?
Some are hard to read but mainly it is time consuming trawling through each page, although every 3rd page or so didn't have much on it.

Sally
28-04-11, 18:07
Sally, I'm no expert but couldn't she have had cholera and survived? Perhaps she wasn't well enough to travel? And/or could there have been a quarantine in place that would have prevented her leaving whether she was personally ill or not?

Hi Janet, I am not quite sure what your thinking is behind this, but welcome any suggestions.

The thing is, why was Emma ever in Stattin in the first place!! She came from a wealthy Jewish family based in Mecklenburg, and indeed married into another wealthy Jewish family shortly after the 1867 census, then moved to England. She would definitely not have been in service of any sort, so that rules out that possibility, and as far as I can see there are no family members in that part of the world. I know that her marriage to Heinrich was imminent, and it is maddening that he is not to be found either in this country or in Mecklenburg in 1871.

Sally
28-04-11, 18:08
I wondered about an S but decided it didn't look right. :rolleyes: Having no sense of geography I had no idea.

Sally could you not get a 14 day trial at ancestry to have a look at the records?
Some are hard to read but mainly it is time consuming trawling through each page, although every 3rd page or so didn't have much on it.

I might do that Kit.......goodness knows that I have paid enough money to Ancestry over the past few years, they should give me a month's free trial of the worldwide thing!!!! I really do need to find that marriage if possible, so will see what I can do

Kit
29-04-11, 01:04
Sally get a new email address if need be, use hotmail and just remember to cancel before the 14 days end. Also do it when you have a bit of free time to make the most of the trial.

Janet
29-04-11, 01:36
Oh, I see your problem! I'm afraid I don't have any more "bright" ideas. Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth for awhile, Sally. We had a long power outage.

Sally
29-04-11, 21:57
Sally get a new email address if need be, use hotmail and just remember to cancel before the 14 days end. Also do it when you have a bit of free time to make the most of the trial.

I have led a sheltered life!!!! Thank you for that tip, I would not have thought of that

Sally
29-04-11, 21:59
Oh, I see your problem! I'm afraid I don't have any more "bright" ideas. Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth for awhile, Sally. We had a long power outage.

Thank you for your help Janet, it is always good to have input. Power cuts are unfuriating aren't they, and always seem to happen at the most inconvenient moment!