PDA

View Full Version : Lincolnshire records - lincstothepast

Ann from Sussex
26-04-11, 17:12
In our county council newsletter which came today is the following:

"A fascinating new website exploring thousands of years of Lincolnshire history is set to go live this month.
The Lincs to the Past online archive provides an extraordinary record of the county's past from the pre-Roman period through to the modern era."

The quite long article goes on to say that the site will include a convicts' database which will be of interest to Australians wanting to trace their Lincolnshire ancestors. There will be a total of 500,000 images including 400,000 digital parish records and Ordnance survey maps of most Lincolnshire villages from 1910.You will be able to buy images viewed online.What it doesn't say is whether you will have to pay to use the site and/or view the images online.

The website address is

www.Lincstothepast.com

and it will be officially launched on 13th May.

Ann

JayG
26-04-11, 19:18
Thanks for the info Ann.

It looks like they already have some records on the site, i've just looks for one of my surnames & got 408 results. Some link to images of parish registers & other to probate inventories!

Ann from Sussex
26-04-11, 20:28
Thanks for the info Ann.

It looks like they already have some records on the site, i've just looks for one of my surnames & got 408 results. Some link to images of parish registers & other to probate inventories!

We've looked for OH's family and got results but noactual records to be seen yet as far as we can make out. I guess we'll have to be patient!

Ann

JayG
26-04-11, 20:44
That's ashame Ann, i've been searching on places & there does seem to be quite alot of parishes that link to images.

The images aren't great as they are only about the size of a postcard, tho you can zoom in & they are very clear. It doesn't look like you can print anything, only order copies.

It looks like it will be a great resource & being able to browse the registers at home at my leisure is great!

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-04-11, 06:59
sounds interesting, I hope they include all of Lincs not just the south!

Rosie Knees
27-04-11, 16:01
thanks Ann, I'll look out for that.

BTW, Jay you might be able to do a screen dump of the records you find.

Anstey Nomad
27-04-11, 20:29
Just thought I'd pop over and have a look - search and first thing I see is death for great grandfather, thus proving Nell right!

AN

JayG
27-04-11, 21:13
sounds interesting, I hope they include all of Lincs not just the south!

The images I was looking at lastnight were for North East parishes Lynn!

thanks Ann, I'll look out for that.

BTW, Jay you might be able to do a screen dump of the records you find.

Not sure that will work Rosie do to the size & also the 'watermark' the images have, tho i'll give it a try.

For anyone interested I registered lastnight & after selecting an image to purchase they cost £3.50.

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-04-11, 22:19
Thats good Jay. I have been at the archives myself today

JayG
27-04-11, 22:20
Thats good Jay. I have been at the archives myself today

That's just mean Lynn, i've not been to the archives for yonks ;( lol

Hope you had a good day.

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-04-11, 22:39
I haven't been for ages either & i have posted news of my discoveries. :)

Ann from Sussex
28-04-11, 14:57
I've got the hang of finding things now - I was looking in records,not images before. I've found quite a few burials in Great Ponton for various of OH's family and, best of all, I've found references for three wills for his 3xgreat grandparents and his 2x great grandfather. The images aren't on the site but using a link there to Lincolnshire Archives, I've downloaded the necessary application forms and sent them off. What a great site. I wish some of our other counties had similar.

Ann

Michael
29-04-11, 14:25
Thanks Ann.

ElizabethHerts
07-06-11, 08:43
I have just read the latest newsletter from Lost Cousins plugging this site. He points out that it isn't particularly user-friendly, but that he found instructions for searching the website for parish registers. I have just printed them for my use.

Here is the link:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/870

Ann from Sussex
07-06-11, 17:13
I have just read the latest newsletter from Lost Cousins plugging this site. He points out that it isn't particularly user-friendly, but that he found instructions for searching the website for parish registers. I have just printed them for my use.

Here is the link:
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Download/870

Oh, I'm glad it isn't only me who finds it hard to use!

I found mention of three wills on there; my husband's 4x great grandfather, his wife and his son who was OH's 3xgreat grandfather. They aren't viewable online but I got the references, downloaded Lincolnshire Archives' order form from their web site and sent it off on 28th April - I made a special trip to the postbox to catch the post that afternoon with the Royal Wedding holiday coming up. Then, as you mayrecall, the sky fell in on us when OH had a heart attack that same weekend...and I forgot all about the wills. Well, I've remembered now and we still don't have them nearly 6 weeks later. Nothing has been debited to my credit card either so I don't know what has happened to the order. I'm sure they are very busy because of this new web site and all the Bank Holidays we've had but I think I might have heard from them by now. I'll give them until the end of this week before I ring to enquire.

Elizabeth: I haven't forgotten Scotton. It was a beautiful morning today so I thought I would nip over after lunch....but the heavens opened and it has poured on and off all afternoon! I WILL get there eventually, I promise.

ElizabethHerts
07-06-11, 19:47
Oh, I'm glad it isn't only me who finds it hard to use!

I found mention of three wills on there; my husband's 4x great grandfather, his wife and his son who was OH's 3xgreat grandfather. They aren't viewable online but I got the references, downloaded Lincolnshire Archives' order form from their web site and sent it off on 28th April - I made a special trip to the postbox to catch the post that afternoon with the Royal Wedding holiday coming up. Then, as you mayrecall, the sky fell in on us when OH had a heart attack that same weekend...and I forgot all about the wills. Well, I've remembered now and we still don't have them nearly 6 weeks later. Nothing has been debited to my credit card either so I don't know what has happened to the order. I'm sure they are very busy because of this new web site and all the Bank Holidays we've had but I think I might have heard from them by now. I'll give them until the end of this week before I ring to enquire.

Elizabeth: I haven't forgotten Scotton. It was a beautiful morning today so I thought I would nip over after lunch....but the heavens opened and it has poured on and off all afternoon! I WILL get there eventually, I promise.

Ann, Scotton can wait until your OH is a lot better and you have time to think about more trivial things than his recovery. How frustrating for you having to wait so long for the wills. I expect they are very busy. I do hope they arrive soon.

I have been perusing the Scotton parish records and have already found lots of births. It appears that my ancestor Newbourn Wood was a Churchwarden in the 1790s.

Lindsay
07-06-11, 20:20
Thanks for posting this - what a lovely site (if a bit hard to navigate!)

OH's lot from Thurlby are there :):)

I might be some time...

Ann from Sussex
07-06-11, 21:04
Thanks for posting this - what a lovely site (if a bit hard to navigate!)

OH's lot from Thurlby are there :):)

I might be some time...

:) It's a real treasure trove isn't it?

"Ann, Scotton can wait until your OH is a lot better and you have time to think about more trivial things than his recovery"

Thanks Elizabeth...although I do feel bad, having promised to do something for you and then not done it. But I will, I will.

tenterfieldjulie
08-06-11, 05:58
Just yesterday I met a lady visiting from Tasmania. Where are her ancestors from? Lincolnshire. So last night I copied and posted what you had all said here. I said on Anzacs how great your info was, her ancestors were Irbys and she goes back to the Earl of Boston. She has lots of info, but I know she will find lots more thanks to this site. I know she has visited some places and has been disappointed with what she has found. If you don't do your homework beforehand, or have local contacts, you really waste so much time. So thanks everyone for your inputs. I will add what you have said today when I email her. Julie

ElizabethHerts
08-06-11, 07:48
I have found lots of burials for my Wood family in Scotton.

They had a son called Edward christened on 6 Sep 1799.
Then another son called Edward christened on 28 Jan 1801.
And yet another son called Edward christened on 21 Apr 1802.

Inevitably I have found some burials:
Dec 13 1799 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood
Mar 22 1801 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood
Aug 21 1802 Edward son of Newbourn and Martha Wood

I think I might have given up on the name Edward as it didn't seem to be very lucky for them.

These boys were their 9th, 10th and 11th children respectively.

ElizabethHerts
08-06-11, 07:53
Ann, look what I have found on this site:

Plans of churchyard and detailed lists of graves, tombstones and inscriptions
Reference Name SCOTTON PAR/8/5

Produced by Revd HE von Sturmer, rector, in 1884, with annotations to 1978.

Date: 1884-1978

Repository: Lincolnshire Archives [057]

OH and I need to return to Lincoln at some time, so I shall definitely be looking at this. There are no images for it on the website.

ElizabethHerts
08-06-11, 08:23
Hurrah! I have just found the christening for my ancestor Newbourn Wood at Scotton.

The IGI doesn't have it, although it has the christenings of his siblings.
Admittedly it is diffult to decipher from the original register, but I knew what to look for and when.

He was christened on 22nd December 1756.

tenterfieldjulie
08-06-11, 09:58
Well done Elizabeth. A lady found my John Sloman at Tiverton in a similar fashion. She said it was only because she knew who she was looking for that she found him. It is brilliant when you find that elusive one isn't it.

ElizabethHerts
08-06-11, 10:02
Yes, Julie, it's fantastic. I have also just viewed the marriage of his parents at Lincoln St Martin in 1750, and it very helpfully states that they were both of the parish of Hemswell, which means I have the correct baptism for Joseph Wood. I need to find the baptism of his wife, Ann Newbo(u)rn now.

FMP has their marriage allegation:

Year: 1750
Groom Forenames: Joseph
Groom Surname: WOOD
Groom's parish: From elsewhere
Groom's condition: Single
Groom's age: 28
Bride Forenames: Ann
Bride Surname: NEWBORN
Bride's parish: From elsewhere
Bride's condition: Single
Bride's age: 28
Place of marriage: Lincoln St Martin
Diocese: Lincoln
Checked: Y
Notes:
RO Reference: MB 1750/189
Record source: Lincolnshire Marriage Licence Bonds and Allegation
Data provider: Lincolnshire Family History Society

However, the parish register shows that the "elsewhere" is in fact Hemswell!

Mary from Italy
09-06-11, 22:50
What a useful site. I don't have anyone in Lincs myself, but I'm doing my BiL's tree, and he has loads.

Pity that some parishes/years don't seem to be online yet.

ElizabethHerts
10-06-11, 07:27
I could be gone for a very long time!

I have my Wood family in the Scotton area, and then there is OH's Newton/Dawson/Morris clan to be unravelled.

Lindsay
10-06-11, 14:12
OH's family were in the same place in Lincolnshire for a couple of generations. I've managed to bury several of them (including a 16 year old boy killed by a cart - obviously the vicar felt that was out of the ordinary) and gone back another generation.

It looks like they moved there from elsewhere, so next I'm going to have to look at surrounding parishes.

Ann from Sussex
10-06-11, 17:31
We got our wills today - the only trouble is, only ONE of the three is for the person we thought! The couple who we thought were OH's 4x great grandparents, George and Elizabeth Palmer are different people altogether (although of the same family with the same names and very close dates of death) and they weren't even married to each other! Elizabeth was the wife of *our* George's nephew Richard Palmer but she died in the same year as OH's 4x great grandmother. As for the George Palmer whose will we now have, lots of details fit him being ours'...except the names of his children, some of which are the same but others definitely aren't! Back to the drawing board there I think. They are a hard family to fathom because a) there were so many of them and b) they all had the same few Christian names within each generation - a not uncommon problem, of course! There were Palmers in Great Ponton going back into the 1600s so,like Elizabeth, I may be some time......

At least the third will was undoubtedly that of OH's 3x great grandfather George Palmer (another one!) who was a farmer and publican in Great Ponton. Whenever any of this family appear on the census they are nearly always described as "farmer of 17 acres". It was clearly a family holding of land and we would love to know what happened to it...but the will makes no mention of that or anything else since he merely left everything "of what nature or kind soever" to his "dear wife Jane Palmer". Well, we knew that because she took over the pub and was farming the 17 acres on the census after George died. As OH says, our 17 acres are probably under the A1 dual carriageway now!

ElizabethHerts
10-06-11, 17:38
Ann, how frustrating for you. Some families really do take a lot of unravelling, don't they?

Could there have been other children you didn't know about? That might account for the extra names.

I have a couple who married in 1728 and the first child I can find was baptised in 1737. There must have been earlier ones, however I don't know which parish they would have been living in!