PDA

View Full Version : WW1 letters discovered in loft.

Langley Vale Sue
22-04-11, 19:06
I posted this on here as I thought it was more likely to be picked up in searches. Mods please move it if you think it would be better elsewhere.

This is in our local paper this week and I thought I'd post the link in case anyone can help.

First World War letters to sweetheart uncovered in Epsom loft
A woman has uncovered a suitcase full of First World War love letters between two sweethearts, which had sat in her loft for over 40 years.

P** C*** moved into her home in the Greenway in 1971 where previous owner, 70-year old Alec Scott, had lived with his wife and daughter before their sudden deaths.

http://www.epsomguardian.co.uk/news/8982486.First_World_War_letters_to_sweetheart_unco vered_in_loft/

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find a family member who would love these letters?

Nell
23-04-11, 09:02
It would! I am very lucky, my Mum gave me all the letters her fathe rAngus wrote to her mother Gladys when they were courting. He was "introduced" to her through his cousin Frank, whose fiancee Edith was in service with Gladys. They start in 1918 and finish in 1923 when they finally had enough money to marry.

Unfortunately he is rather vague about any genealogical info, ie writing "my sister" instead of specifying which one! And of course I wish I had her replies to him. They were quite hard to decipher as written in pencil, but included with them were various postcards of war-damaged Belgian towns. My Mum gave them to me as she didn't mind me reading them but felt she would be intruding on her parents' privacy if she did.

Kit
23-04-11, 09:38
How wonderful. Everytime I read something like this I wish it was a name in my family tree.