PDA

View Full Version : Rookwood Cemetery (Sydney) C of E section

Mary from Italy
13-04-11, 21:05
The Rookwood C of E Cemetery deceased search is back on line at last (it probably has been for ages, but I've only just noticed).

I've just sent them the following feedback, which I thought I'd post here in case it's useful to anyone else:

- the site doesn't appear to accept apostrophes, so a search for a name like O'Connor won't bring up any hits (it just hangs - using Firefox, at least)

- however, it will accept wildcards (% rather than the usual *), so searching for %Connor will bring up the name O'Connor.

http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/

marquette
13-04-11, 21:42
Its been off-line since January. They reloaded it in early Feb, I think, but had so many inquries that it crashed again. I think its only just come back on line, because I am sure I checked to see if it was back in the last month or so.

Thanks Mary

Kit
15-04-11, 03:40
I think it has only come back online recently.

If you read the notes though they will soon be charging for access to the database.

Mary from Italy
15-04-11, 10:01
No! Better have a blitz on searching it before they start, then.

Kit
15-04-11, 10:16
Working on it already, Mary. :)

Thanks for having something for me to find for you. I may not have gone back to the site otherwise.

Mary from Italy
15-04-11, 11:15
I've just had another look at the Rookwood site, and it turns out that my GG-grandmother Lydia buried Thomas (her fancy man) next to his second wife, which was good of her :) Or perhaps the grave was already paid for...

tenterfieldjulie
15-04-11, 11:18
Oh Mary - maybe they were just friends ...

Kit
15-04-11, 11:44
Did I look for those people ages ago Mary?

Would Thomas' family have had a say in the burial?

Mary from Italy
15-04-11, 13:30
Oh Mary - maybe they were just friends ...

No, they lived together, and she's named as his wife on his death cert. She got around a bit...

Mary from Italy
15-04-11, 13:34
Did I look for those people ages ago Mary?

Would Thomas' family have had a say in the burial?

I think you looked for Lydia, yes, she's one of my Inmans.

It could be that his children by his first two wives had a say in it, yes. In fact I'm not sure whether he and Lydia were still together when he died. He died in hospital of alcoholism, and she had a baby named after another man 7 months later.

Kit
15-04-11, 14:25
I remember the Inman's. Spread all over the place they were. lol

From memory they were an interesting, if annoying, family.