PDA

View Full Version : Brick Wall

Cheshirelass73
04-04-11, 14:23
Hi everyone I am a newbie to the forum so be gentle with me.

My grandfather Joseph Ball was born in Dawley Shropshire in 1865.

I found him on the 1881 census but can’t find a birth record.

Can anyone help or advise please

kiterunner
04-04-11, 14:25
Welcome to the site, Cheshirelass!

Did Joseph Ball marry? And if so, do you have a copy of his marriage certificate giving his father's name and occupation?

Cheshirelass73
04-04-11, 14:29
Hi Kiterunner

Joseph married Annie Jane Rogers in 1886.

I don't have his marriage cert but according to the 1881 census his father was Noah Ball he was a chartermaster.

Phoenix
04-04-11, 14:39
These are births in Shropshire per freebmd. The one highlighted looks like Noah's son, but there are two Joseph Balls showing birthplace of Dawley, per 1881 census, so Noah might not be the father.

Births Mar 1861 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ball Joseph West Bromwich 6b 626

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1862 (>99%)

BALL Joseph Madeley 6a 58_

Births Jun 1863 (>99%)

BALL Joseph Charles Wolverhampton 6b 508

Births Mar 1865 (>99%)

BALL Joseph Albert Stourbridge 6C 224

Births Dec 1865 (>99%)

Ball Joseph Wellington, Sh. 6a 715

Births Jun 1866 (>99%)

Ball Joseph Newport S 6a 806
BALL Joseph T Oswestry 6a 694

Births Jun 1867 (>99%)

Ball Joseph Madeley 6a 633
Births Sep 1868 (>99%)

BALL Joseph Newport, Sh. 6a 793

Births Mar 1869 (>99%)

Ball Joseph Edwin B Newport, Sh. 6a 852

Births Sep 1869 (>99%)

Ball Joseph W. Bromwich 6b 733

Births Mar 1870 (>99%)

BALL Joseph Stourbridge 6c 166

kiterunner
04-04-11, 14:40
Can I just ask how you know that the Joseph you have found in 1881 is the right one?

kiterunner
04-04-11, 15:39
I see they got married in Warrington, so is this them on the 1901 census?

118 Catherine St., Warrington
Joseph Ball Head M 35 Brickseller's Labourer Salop Ellesmere
Annie Do Wife M 34 Staffs Hanley
Joseph Do Son 12 Do Do
Annie Do Daur 8 Lancs Warrington
John W Do Son 6 Do Do
Sarah Do Daur 4 Do Do

And in 1891, at the same address:
Joseph Ball Head M 28 Forgeman Shropshire
Ann Do Wife M 28 Staffordshire
Joseph Do Son 2 Do
Mary E Do Daur 1 Month Warrington Lancashire

Then on the 1911 census he is age 46 born Dawley.

If his age on the 1891 census is accurate then he could be the Joseph Ball who is 18 on the 1881 census, born Salop Dawley, living as a boarder in Wellington, Shropshire, working as a bricklayer's apprentice. It's quite common for people to knock a few years off their age on later censuses. This would mean he is not Noah's son.

kiterunner
04-04-11, 15:55
Aha! I've found a family on the 1905 Wisconsin State Census, USA:

Ball Noah Head 73 M born England Lan'lord
Sarah Wife 80 M born England
Joseph Son 38 S born England Invalid

I wonder whether that's the Noah Ball family from Dawley.

Phoenix
04-04-11, 16:14
Ooh, well done, Kite!

I can't find the other Joseph in 1871, so I wonder if he was illegitimate, or his mother remarried, so down under step-father's name.

Cheshirelass73
04-04-11, 16:39
Thank you all for your help so much information.

I didn’t realise that Madely was the registration district for Dawley (told you I was new at this)

That 1901 census is the right one those are my dad’s brothers and sisters and the address is right.

I thought Wellington was the reg district for Dawley and order the BC for Joseph Ball Wellington DEC 1865 and of course it’s the wrong one.

Margaret in Burton
04-04-11, 16:58
Thank you all for your help so much information.

I didn’t realise that Madely was the registration district for Dawley (told you I was new at this)

That 1901 census is the right one those are my dad’s brothers and sisters and the address is right.

I thought Wellington was the reg district for Dawley and order the BC for Joseph Ball Wellington DEC 1865 and of course it’s the wrong one.

Madeley was the reg district for Dawley from 1837-1935. After that until 1974 it became Wellington district

Phoenix
04-04-11, 17:01
Cheshire Lass, do you use the Freebmd site? If so, if you click on the registration district, it will tell you the places included. Also, if you are buying certificates, do so through the official government site (or from a local registrar). That way a certificate will only cost £9.25. (I say "only", but that is still a fair whack if you get things wrong!)

Cheshirelass73
04-04-11, 17:07
Thanks Phoenix I did use the official government site I know some of the others charge up to £20. Is there anywhere on the forum for listing certs as it might be some use to someone else.

kiterunner
04-04-11, 17:09
Your best bet will be to order a copy of Joseph and Annie's marriage certificate to see what father's details are given.

Phoenix
04-04-11, 17:18
You can attach a postem on freebmd, saying it's Noah's son. If you feel comfortable with it, you could put up an email address. I've found an unwanted certificate that way which was very useul to me.