PDA

View Full Version : Tip re National Probate Index searches

Merry
01-04-11, 14:11
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I have noticed it's quite common to see a probate entry for an individual alongside administration(s) for other family members who have sometimes died some years before. Presumably the executors of the will were prompted to do something about the estate(s) of other dead relatives by the execution of their roll as executor. I've found about five or six of these unexpected records today, two of which were for deaths before 1858, so I probably wouldn't have thought to look in the post 1858 records.

It's worth glancing at the other entries with the same surname when you find a probate entry for your tree, in case something else jumps out at you!!

Uncle John
01-04-11, 14:13
So far, I've just done blanket searches on the surname and ploughed through the results looking for first names that look familiar.

Jill
01-04-11, 15:57
Wouldn't it have been wonderful if the Executors had been indexed too...wishful thinking!

Merry
01-04-11, 18:42
That would be wonderful!!

Merry
03-04-11, 09:02
It would also be good if the LMA marriage witnesses were indexed!

Uncle John
03-04-11, 15:13
It would also be good if the LMA marriage witnesses were indexed!

I disagree (to some extent). It would dispel the spine-tingling delight when you discover that the witnesses are people you know about and suspected were co-habiting.

Nell
03-04-11, 19:35
UJ I don't see how being a witness to a marriage means you are co-habiting?

I'd love it if the witnesses were indexed.

Uncle John
03-04-11, 19:58
Ah, but it does for my aunt's racy great-grandmother, who had two marriages, a divorce and a cohabit with offspring, all before she died of TB at the age of 28.

samesizedfeet
04-04-11, 08:36
Ah, but it does for my aunt's racy great-grandmother, who had two marriages, a divorce and a cohabit with offspring, all before she died of TB at the age of 28.

Good on her for managing to fit so much into her life then. Especially as it was cut so short.

Kit
04-04-11, 10:22

She was a busy lass. ;)

garstonite
04-04-11, 10:39
Ha Ha ...Merry...living in Liverpool and it being the National on Saturday...read your post again...here in Liverpool EVERYONE has heard a tip
Tip re National Probate Index ...I thought you were giving us a tip for a horse in the National called Probate Index......lol.....only for a second though, I`m not that thick ....allan:d

garstonite
04-04-11, 10:50
Ha Ha ...Merry...living in Liverpool and it being the National on Saturday...read your post again...here in Liverpool EVERYONE has heard a tip
Tip re National Probate Index ...I thought you were giving us a tip for a horse in the National called Probate Index......lol.....only for a second though, I`m not that thick ....allan:d

PS ....if theres`s a lot of rain ....Sychronised at 25-1 is my tip