PDA

View Full Version : Could I barrow your eyes?

DaveK
30-03-11, 20:24
http://davekearns.com/JaneSley.JPG

This is an entry from the 1841 England census. The transcriber notes it as Jane Sley, but that doesn't seem right to me. We believe this is the mother of my GGmother, Mary Ann Hurn (who the transcriber renders as HUME), but we've no indication of Mary Ann's maiden name.

They were living in Trowbridge, Wiltshire at the time.

marquette
30-03-11, 20:37
Having looked at many census records, I would be reluctant to say the first letter of the surname is H - an H usually starts the same way, but the second part is usually more definitely joined to the first. The best you could do is look for an H in another part of the page, or even on the following pages, written by the same enumerator. Then look at his S and y to see how they are formed. S can look like L or T as well. My Tanners were under Lanner and Sanner and also Turner. The first name is definitely JANE, not Mary.

Sorry, but I think the transcriber is right - Jane Sley.

Di

Olde Crone
30-03-11, 20:43
I would say the surname is ILEY.

OC

HarrysMum
30-03-11, 21:22
What's Mary Ann Hurn's husband's name??

There's some Mary and JOHN Hurn children on Family Search but they don't have Mary's maiden name.

There is a tree with Mary Ann Slugg.

HarrysMum
30-03-11, 21:24
SCrap those trees....looks like they've copied each other and have mixed two Hurn families.

DaveK
30-03-11, 21:38
My Mary Ann was married to John. They had a son George who married Mary Ann Vince. And they had a son George.

I've seen the Slugg tree. Really don't want a Slugg in MY tree :)

kiterunner
30-03-11, 22:01
The capital S's on that census page are quite varied, so that first letter could well be an S. The y's on the page have tails pointing in either direction, but I do think the last letter in her surname looks very much like the g in Long and the one in Lavington, so I'm sorry to say it could be Slug.

kiterunner
30-03-11, 22:09
Findmypast has transcribed the name on the 1841 census as Jane Slug.

Also, there is a Jane Slug death registered Oct-Dec 1848 Melksham district, which was the district for Trowbridge. If you order a copy of the death certificate, and if it is the right person, it might confirm whether she was Mary Ann's mother as Mary Ann might be the informant and be described as "daughter".

Merry
30-03-11, 22:12
Or you could get Alfred's birth cert to check his MMN:

Births Mar 1838

HURN Alfred Melksham 8 374

HarrysMum
30-03-11, 23:35
I found the Melksham children had William Hurn for a father, not John.

DaveK
31-03-11, 03:25
I found the Melksham children had William Hurn for a father, not John.

Which William is that? Don't find any in my tree. That seem to be consistently Harry/Henry and Louis with just the occasional George & John.

There's a William & Elizabeth and a William & Mercy both of whom flourished in the early 19th century, but my forebear from the period is John Hurn (father of John, George, Jane & Alfred).

DaveK
31-03-11, 03:27
Merry, Kiterunner -

I know, I just hate paying for docs on a whim. I prefer to know ahead of time what ghey're going to say :)

HarrysMum
31-03-11, 03:31
Dave.......It could have been Mercy but I think I've broken Family Search...lol

When I manage to make it work I'll double check.

HarrysMum
31-03-11, 03:33
Ah....Ann Eliza 27th Jan 1822 to William and Mary.

It's in Melksham.

kiterunner
31-03-11, 07:33
But Melksham was also the registration district for Trowbridge, Libby.

HarrysMum
31-03-11, 09:48
Didn't know that Kite.....ask me about Qld, I'm good at my own geography......lol

There are records on Family Search for both Melksham and Trowbridge so I thought they were different..

kiterunner
31-03-11, 10:15
FamilySearch (sometimes, lol) goes by the actual church, not registration district. But the children born and baptised in Trowbridge, and people who died in Trowbridge, would still have been listed under Melksham on the GRO indexes.

Merry, Kiterunner -

I know, I just hate paying for docs on a whim. I prefer to know ahead of time what ghey're going to say :)

In that case, you might be best to get a look at the St James, Trowbridge, parish register marriages and check whether there really is a John Hurn / Mary Ann Sley or Slug marriage 25 Sep 1826 as shown on one of the public trees on ancestry.

DaveK
31-03-11, 14:07
FamilySearch doesn't turn up a marriage record for John Hurn, Mary Sley or Mary Slug (individually or in tandem) for the years 1825-1827 so I'm not sure where that date may have come from in that other tree.

For now I think I may just let Jane stay as a "visitor" in 1841 and go on to Emma Rogers who's listed in John & Mary's household in 1851 as a 5 month old orphan...

Oops! recovering from fumble fingers I do find there was a marriage between John Hurne & Mary Ann Slugg on 25 Sep 1826.

hmm.....

kiterunner
31-03-11, 14:14
Not everything is on FamilySearch! Why not look at the actual parish register?

Edit - just seen your edit!