PDA

View Full Version : Vicar General Marriage Licence Allegations

Sue from Southend
28-03-11, 08:05
I've just found one of these on Find My Past that I'd like to look at but it costs £10 from the SoG :eek: So before I shell out for it I wondered if anyone knew what information I'm likely to get from it?

kiterunner
28-03-11, 08:47
There is this info on the SoG site:

The allegations are much more informative than the calendars. They have the full names of the bride and groom, whether over 21, their respective parish, and the church for which the marriage was licensed. In the case of a minor (aged under 21), there is usually the written consent of parent or guardian, sometimes from overseas. A review has shown that the calendars reflect the allegations quite accurately so that an index to the calendars can the treated as an index to the allegations. Examples of allegations are given on another page of this site.

Link to the examples:
http://www.sog.org.uk/vg/vgsample.htm

Sue from Southend
28-03-11, 12:58
Thanks Kate, I don't know why I didn't think to check the SoG site :o

The record I'm after is for the William Matthews/Esther Hodges marriage that seems to have taken place twice (if you remember from last weeks 3xggparent). I still can't decide whether to send for it bearing in mind that I already know that Esther was a minor and her father's name from the marriage record. I suspect that curiosity will get the better of me in the end though :d

Sue from Southend
01-04-11, 16:24
I received this today (great service from SoG) and as I suspected it didn't tell me anything new but if I hadn't sent for it I would have been forever wondering about it! Catch 22, lol.
I'm now trying not to think of the Certificate I might have bought instead.....