PDA

View Full Version : Middlesbrough Pubs

Katarzyna
20-03-11, 14:39
I am trying to find the licensee of a pub in the Middlesbrough area. I don't know which pub but Edward Kennedy was possibly a licensee between 1903 and 1909. Anyone any ideas where I might find this info please. I have googled in vain!

Thanks.

Margaret in Burton
20-03-11, 15:20
I am trying to find the licensee of a pub in the Middlesbrough area. I don't know which pub but Edward Kennedy was possibly a licensee between 1903 and 1909. Anyone any ideas where I might find this info please. I have googled in vain!

Thanks.

I would imagine that there would be some info at the County Record Office. All licensee's had to be granted a license to sell alcohol and these should survive I would think. I very much doubt if anything like this is online.

JayG
20-03-11, 15:27
Teesside Archives or the central reference/local studies library would be able to help.

http://teessidearchives.middlesbrough.gov.uk/calmview/

http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/

borobabs
20-03-11, 15:50
Kate if they carnt help by e-mail I will call and look see if I can find out for you ;;

Margaret in Burton
20-03-11, 15:54
Kate if they carnt help by e-mail I will call and look see if I can find out for you ;;

I knew you'd come to the rescue Babs :):)

borobabs
20-03-11, 16:36
Pmsl well bit daft when I live here lol

Margaret in Burton
20-03-11, 21:16
Pmsl well bit daft when I live here lol

That's why I will always do stuff in Burton, just sometimes takes me a while to get round to it.

Katarzyna
20-03-11, 21:34
Thank you ladies. I will email the archives and see if they can help. If not I will come back to you Babs, thanks for the offer. It is a problem tho' not knowing where exactly the pub is. My cousin in US says her Grandfather ran the pub just before he emigrated to the States in 1909.
Will get back,

Thanks.

borobabs
20-03-11, 21:41
Its no problem to me Kate I might be able to go amorrow or else it would be wednesday now ,,just let me know they should have spome kind of license books etc
I have book somewhere that lists all the old pubs but you know what its like its somewhere safe lol

Katarzyna
20-03-11, 22:10
Will pm you Babs
thanks

borobabs
20-03-11, 22:14
OK dear

borobabs
21-03-11, 15:23
Hiya Kat , been to archives and there petty session books dont go back that far or have not been saved ,,but had a look in 1904 wards directories and found your Edward Kennady there living at 43 Upper Albion Street South Bank his employment was furnaceman ,,sorry that was the best they could do and had place to myself and one to one help ;;

Katarzyna
21-03-11, 19:09
Thanks Babs for that info. Was he on his own do you know?

I really appreciate that xxx

borobabs
21-03-11, 19:31
It just gave his name and occupation nothing else dear sorry ,,
I was a bit upset that they didnt have much there that s a few things I have been in there specially for and there has been no records ,,dont have lot faith in council the way things have been stored in past

Katarzyna
21-03-11, 19:38
Never mind Babs. At least you found something! thanks so much xx

Katarzyna
21-03-11, 19:42
I would imagine that there would be some info at the County Record Office. All licensee's had to be granted a license to sell alcohol and these should survive I would think. I very much doubt if anything like this is online.

A lot of my relatives were publicans in Norfolk and I have found a lot of records online. Depends which area you are I suppose :)))

borobabs
21-03-11, 19:47
Must do Kat there was just nothing in there for the years you wanted,,,if ever you do find out who and where it was give me shout for pic or mini map of area etc