PDA

View Full Version : James Ferrier

kiterunner
18-03-11, 13:26
Name - "official" name and what they were known as (Captain) James Ferrier
Date and place of birth 4th Mar 1769 Edinburgh
Names of parents Walter Ferrier and Margaret Arch(i)bald
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 15th Mar 1769 St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 4th Jun 1806 Rotherhithe, Surrey, to Christian Browne (nee Lilly); 8th Jul 1815 St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, Surrey, to Mary Besant (nee Salter).
Occupation(s) - if any Ship's captain, ships including the Henry, the Lord Sidmouth, and the Arab.
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). 38 Horselydown Lane, Horsleydown, Surrey (London) when he died.
Date, place and cause of death 19th Oct 1833 at the house of A Sykes, Esq, Singapore.
Date and place of burial. 20th Oct 1833 Fort Canning Cemetery, Singapore
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable He wrote an informal will as a letter to his brother-in-law Robert Salter on the 22nd Mar 1827, presumably soon after the death of his second wife, and kept it in a pocketbook which he sent over to Robert's house when he was going on long voyages, but he didn't expect that probate would be needed and so didn't have it written up in legalese and witnessed. Robert took it to court to have probate granted 27th May 1834, which required the testimony of various people that the will was written by James and was intended as his last will and testament.
Memorial inscription - if any Not found
Other info - became a Burgess of the City of Edinburgh 16th Jun 1813 although he had been living in London for some years by then.

kiterunner
18-03-11, 13:45
Wow, I've just found his mother's will and inventory on Scotland's People, strangely enough in one of my "previous searches", although I don't remember ever seeing it listed before! Just paid to download it...