PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Census John Jaffrey

tenterfieldjulie
17-03-11, 10:51
John Jaffrey 80, Helen 30 and Elizabeth 12 were found on the 1841 Census at East Nisbet in Roxburghshire in Scotland. Would someone be able to find them again please and tell me if it states their relationship please? I was thinking that he could be Helen's fil or even Elizabeth's greatgrandfather, but then again he could be Helen's husband too. None have them been found in the 1851 Census. Thank you. Julie

Olde Crone
17-03-11, 10:57
Julie

1841 doesn't normally record relationships unfortunately - but you never know, of course!

OC

Merry
17-03-11, 10:57
The 1841 census didn't ask for relationships ;(

tenterfieldjulie
17-03-11, 11:26
I found them on FreeCen (as Kiterunner and Merry said) with no relationships sadly.
BUT on the 1851 Census at Ancrum in Roxburghshire, at Longnewton Place Farm, (which was a farm of 600 acres employing 17 labourers), I found: Betsy Jeffrey Servnt U F 22 House Serv Roxburghshire - N.K. Then the good bit - POB crossed out diff to read pos Kersmains. Right where I wanted her at Kersmains, even if it was difficult to read. So somewhere between 1841 and 1851 she changed from Jaffrey to Jeffrey but she kept Kersmains. :D:D
If only I could find her birth ..

HarrysMum
17-03-11, 19:45
Have you tried Scotlands People????

Sadly I'm down to 1 credit............but I think I've finally worked out how to use it.

I'll be buying more while our dollar is still nice.....lol

tenterfieldjulie
18-03-11, 02:43
Libby when I was in Edinburgh I went into their office and found that you could book for two free hours. When I came back to Edinburgh I took advantage of this but I couldn't find her. One of their ladies also tried and she couldn't find her. So unless they have new records since June 2010 I don't think her record is there. We were looking for Elizabeth Jeffrey at the time, so maybe I should try under Jaffrey. I can't really remember that I tried variants. I do remember while I was waiting I read a book that said that Jaffrey/Jeffrey/Jaffary were interchangeable .... What I would really like to do is look at all the births in Roxburgh in 1929 .... She always says she was born at Kersmains which is the farm and Roxburgh is the hamlet.

HarrysMum
18-03-11, 02:57
I'd try all the variants and you can use just the county. It only costs 1 credit to view the results and 5 to view the record. You might just luck one with Kersmains...

I never thought I'd sort the Clark or Morris families....there are thousands, but it only took a couple of tries to find them.

I've learnt from experience it's better to look at the online records than the offices sometimes. My sister went to Kew and told her they didn't have various things she was after....but someone else found them because he knew more about their records.

tenterfieldjulie
18-03-11, 03:08
Well done with your Scotties Lib.
I'm chuffed to find anything about Elizabeth, as Ralph Alt had no luck 20 yrs ago.
I think I might give S. a nudge at Kersmains, he did say that he knew someone who knew someone etc. Now I have this extra information, I need to put what Kite found on Google books and the Censuses, into a cohesive statement and send it to S.

tenterfieldjulie
02-02-12, 12:06
I am trying to unravel Elizabeth's relation in the census, John Jaffrey, even though I have no idea what their relationship is. I have found a baptism for John Jaffrey on 14/7/1760 at Sprouston, Roxburghshire, parents George Jaffrey & Jean Scot. This ties in his age of 80 in the 1841 Census. Can anyone play devil's advocate and see why it couldn't be him. He was listed as a pauper in 1841, would there be an official record of this? What classified him as a pauper? Thanks. Julie

kiterunner
02-02-12, 12:30
FamilySearch has a marriage for John Jeffrey 4 Jun 1783 at Makerston, Roxburgh, but it doesn't say who he married. It's on Scotland's People in the OPR marriages, though, so you would be able to look at it on there.

kiterunner
02-02-12, 12:41
Info about where to find poor law records etc:
http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/poor.asp

tenterfieldjulie
02-02-12, 19:20
Thanks Kate.

tenterfieldjulie
02-02-12, 19:32
Locations are looking good. Makerstoun is across the river from Kersmains. It is like a circle Kersmains, Makerstoun, Longnewton and East Nisbet.