PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a death

Asa
16-03-11, 17:21
I have an Isaac Easterling in Kensington, London in 1871 (as Isaac Eastesbury). He would appear to be alive in 1875 when a daughter is born and baptised in Notting Hill but dead by July 1878 when his wife Susan appears in the NPC as his widow. Her death is under the surname Easterland and in Kensington.

Isaac was born in 1830 and was a plasterer, so although he did travel about the UK a bit (his children were born in Cardiff, Torquay and London), I've no reason to think he didn't die in England

Merry
16-03-11, 18:25
Wierd.

Do you know what happened to Evelina? There are no other entries than her birth and baptism.

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 18:33
Sorry, Asa. I am coming up dry. I even scrolled through all of the entries for Issac through the years you mention and not a sausage did I see.

kiterunner
16-03-11, 18:36
Susan did indeed die in 1878, but the National Probate Calendar entry for administration of her estate is 1887. It does say Widow, though, so it does still imply that Isaac died before her.

Asa
16-03-11, 19:15
Sorry, have lost pc access so am on my phone - not ideal! Thank you all for looking.

Merry, I have a note that she died the same year but nothing at hand to back that up. The next youngest two are in the district school in Ewell and another son in the navy. I've no idea what happened to the elder daughter.

kiterunner
16-03-11, 19:16
Thinking about it, it could be one of those rare cases where it might be worth paying the £5 for a copy of the letter of administration on Susan's estate because there might be something to explain why it took 9 years. I'm thinking it could be connected to Isaac's death or disappearance - maybe he disappeared and they had to wait to have him declared dead?

Asa
16-03-11, 19:19
Thanks Ammanda. I've been trying similar things too.

Kiterunner, there's no clue as to why it's so long after though is there.

kiterunner
16-03-11, 19:21
No, what I meant was there might be a clue in the letter of administration. Though of course there might not be.

Asa
16-03-11, 20:03
Thanks - I think I'll do that. It's clear it's just not me missing the death reg :-)

Olde Crone
16-03-11, 20:06
I have one in my family who did not administer her husband's estate for 13 years, because she couldn't be bothered, I think. Her son and son in law took out admon in exasperation.

This could be something similar, if it was to no-one's advantage to administer the Will.

OC

Asa
16-03-11, 20:06
Merry, Evelina's death isn't there - very oddly there is a death reg for a Caroline in Kensington in 1875 aged 0.

Merry
16-03-11, 20:16
Merry, Evelina's death isn't there - very oddly there is a death reg for a Caroline in Kensington in 1875 aged 0.

Surely that must be her. Maybe registered by someone not properly familiar with her name or the registrar misunderstood.

Asa
16-03-11, 20:26
I reckon. The eldest daughter, Rhoda Angela, born in 1860, completely disappears too and I expect something similar happened to her.

Phoenix
18-03-11, 13:00
The next youngest two are in the district school in Ewell and another son in the navy. I've no idea what happened to the elder daughter.

I take it that you have looked at the relevant workhouse records? It sounds as if the children must have been taken into care. The settlement examination, if it survives, would show whether the father had died or disappeared.

Who were the executors of the will? One reason for waiting so long might have been for the children to gain their majority. Another might have been that if the authorities got the whiff of any funds, they would have applied it to the children's keep & education.

kiterunner
18-03-11, 14:08
If you mean Susan, there wasn't a will but the administrator was "Isaac Easterling of Portsmouth, signalman in Her Majesty's Royal Navy the son and one of the next of kin". (personal estate £20)

Phoenix
18-03-11, 14:46
As Isaac is born 17 Nov 1866 (per his naval records) he is only a child when his mother died. And 21 ie just of age, when he takes out administration.

Asa
18-03-11, 16:14
Phoenix, I haven't looked at all into the poor law records yet - have only just started looking at this branch in detail. The eldest child would have been twenty by the time Susan died but worth looking at for the others.

ElizabethHerts
18-03-11, 18:35
Asa, as Phoenix said, there are naval records.

I take it you have this?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6863355&queryType=1&resultcount=5

Asa
19-03-11, 05:06
Thanks Elizabeth, I do - will probably leave looking at it until I go to the NA next because there's not likely to be anything about his parents there.

Asa
19-03-11, 06:20
There isn't much for Kensington & Chelsea on Ancestry - but I have found Isaac junior and his younger brother in the discharges in 1876 from a school under the charge of St Mary Abbot Kensington. They were admitted as early as 1873 and 1874.

Merry
19-03-11, 06:46
I suppse the most likely scenario is that Isaac senr died around the time his last child was baptised, but the record didn't make it to the GRO.

Asa
19-03-11, 07:41
I would have thought so Merry - I'm descended from his brother so would like to tidy him up, am sure I will get there eventually.