PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 02:22
I found extracts from the 1851 Census for three members of my Hockey family on the Beta site. However, I cannot find the actual census return on Ancestry.
Kite has mentioned that there is a problem with that census, some lost returns, but if there is an extract doesn't that mean that there should be a return or how can it be extracted. Does that make sense?

kiterunner
16-03-11, 07:22
The extracts from the censuses on FamilySearch are from findmypast, not ancestry, so it could well be that they are mistranscribed on ancestry. Can you post up the details you have from FamilySearch and I'll see if I can find them?

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 12:28
Thanks, Kite, here they are:

Name: Edwin Hockey
Birthplace: Babcary, Somerset
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Record Type: Household

Name: Eliza Ann Hockey
Birthplace: Babcary, Somerset
Relationship to Head of Household: Daur

Name: James Hockey
Birthplace: Charlton Adam, Somerset
Relationship to Head of Household: Head

Merry
16-03-11, 12:46
I can't find any of those on the pilot site?

Merry
16-03-11, 12:47
I thought they only had the 1841 and 1861 census stuff?

tenterfieldjulie
16-03-11, 12:49
She found them on the Beta site, does that make a difference?

Merry
16-03-11, 12:49
They are 1851 though, so I'd be interested to know what search terms you entered to find them on the pilot as I still can't get them!

Merry
16-03-11, 12:50
She found them on the Beta site, does that make a difference?

Need my reading glasses! Sorry! lol (I know I definitely won't find them on the Beta site!)

tenterfieldjulie
16-03-11, 13:06
Merry, If I can find it you sure can. I just went into the Beta site - Into the Historical Records boxes and I put in James and Hockey, Place - Charlton Adam, Somerset and it then brought him up in the 1851, 1881 and 1891 Census. Now You Can Go Find Him .... and I am Going to Bed. It is 1 am GNite

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 13:16
They are on the Beta site and I could not find them on the Pilot site either. I checked in the England/Wales Census 1851 and they are there.

tenterfieldjulie
16-03-11, 13:19
It is just that Merry is having a mental block with the Beta site and she is blaming her glasses ..... oooooooooooh I'm off before she catches me ..........

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 13:20
Night Julie...I would run too!

Merry
16-03-11, 13:30
It is just that Merry is having a mental block with the Beta site and she is blaming her glasses ..... oooooooooooh I'm off before she catches me ..........

lol! I don't actually wear glasses, but I've not had my eyes tested since about 1980, so maybe it's time!!? :eek:

*contemplates the Beta site*

I'm glad you found them Ammanda!

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 13:42
Trouble is that these extracts are all I can find. I would like the original if it can be found. I have drawn a blank on Ancestry. Kite says they could be on FMP.

Merry
16-03-11, 14:02
Am sending you a pm.

kiterunner
16-03-11, 14:04
It isn't a Beta site any more, is it? It's just the new FamilySearch site!

I've managed to work out that they are in the parish of Meare, Somerset (registration district Wells), but I can't see them on ancestry. The first page of enumeration district 8a is missing from ancestry so perhaps that's their page? Sorry, but you'll need to look at them on findmypast.

Ammanda Schutz
16-03-11, 14:15
Thanks Merry, got it.
Thanks too, Kite. Merry figured the page is missing from Ancestry. She did find it on FMP.
Excellent.
Thanks to all.
Oh, I keep using the Beta site as I find the new Family Search a right bear to use. I guess I will get used to it in time.