PDA

View Full Version : Me again

Kit
16-03-11, 01:05
I'm finding these Scots rather confusing and annoying. :confused::(

I'm still looking at my McCalls.

Burkes family records state James McCall married Sarah Reid in 1761 and her father Thomas was from Saltcoats. Fair enough but as it is my direct line I'd like to see the records to prove it.

I've done a search on SP for Sarah Reid marrying a James and 2 results come up for 1761:

Sarah Reid and James McCalla married 27/1/1761 in Stevenson Ayr.
Sarah Reid and James McCawlay married 1/3/1761 in Glasgow Lanark.

I have the first image and it doesn't mention any parents but James is a merchant in Glasgow, which is correct for my James.

I'm wondering if the second is mine as well. I know I have to buy it but how common was it for people to get married twice? Once in her hometown and then again in his?

Edit: the second marriage is definitely them. Father Thomas of Salt Coats.

kiterunner
16-03-11, 07:20
I don't think it's so much that they got married twice as that the marriage is listed twice, once in each town, because the banns were called in both places. That does crop up a lot in Scottish records.

Kit
16-03-11, 08:58
Thanks Kate. I wish they used the same dates though.

One place says they "gave in the names" to get married (I assume this is the banns) on 23 Jan and they married 27 Jan. The other place just says they married 1 March.

I was thinking maybe there were 2 couples with similar names but what you said makes it sound like the same couple.

Uncle John
16-03-11, 14:42
Sometimes the third call of banns is recorded in IGI as the marriage date.

Kit
17-03-11, 00:14
I have the parish records from SP, UJ, not the IGI entries, but I understand what you mean.

If one register didn't say married before the other register I'd be happier and more understanding.