PDA

View Full Version : Who lived in our cottages?

Sue at the seaside
14-03-11, 19:13
For years we have been trying to find "the cottages" that were thought to be owned by OH's family. I was taken there about 40 years ago, but apart from near Sevenoaks I have no idea where they/it was. I've had no luck with censuses. BUT on MIL's 96th birthday bash she said that her MIL died in Kent and FIL died in London. I knew this was wrong, both deaths were registered in Stepney, (I've learned not to show doubt about anything they believe to be correct!) I got the death certs today, what a result, sure enough, both died in Stepney - Mile End Hosp- the lovely registrar has written her address in Kent on the cert . Whitley Cottages, Ide Hill Nr Sevenoaks. There is a Whitley Cottage, It is a listed building. The lady died in 1950, My MIL spent her Honeymoon there in 1948. I would love to be able to trace who lived there at the time of the censuses, How can I go about it, I'm sure I've done address searches in the past, but can't work out how now! Any advice.....please

Breckland Jane
14-03-11, 19:25
I've just had a quick look at 1911 and the Quittenden and Sears families were there then. If you would like details please PM me.

Jane

Margaret in Burton
14-03-11, 19:30
Address searched are possible on FMP

Margaret in Burton
14-03-11, 19:34
Ide Hill isn't coming up at all in 1891. It is in 1901 but not Whitley Cottages.

Do you know when it was built?

Sue at the seaside
14-03-11, 19:34
Address searched are possible on FMP

I thought they were and had an afternoon searching, just always seemed to enter the wrong info!

Breckland Jane
14-03-11, 19:36
On the 1911, if you put in Sevenoaks, then go right to the end on the long list of addresses you will find Whitley Ide Hill.

Jane

Breckland Jane
14-03-11, 19:37
The parish is Chevening.

Sue at the seaside
14-03-11, 19:39
Ide Hill isn't coming up at all in 1891. It is in 1901 but not Whitley Cottages.

Do you know when it was built?

Not very specific , this is what I've found about it's grade II listing, Here it is Chevening, could also be Goudhurst Common

CHEVENING WHITLEY FOREST
Whitley Cottage
TQ 45 SE 45/179

C18 cottage of 2 storeys, 2 windows. High pitched tiled roof with end chimneys.
Tile hung 1st floor. Red brick ground floor with diaper of blue headers. Modern
square paned casements including small ground floor oriel. Gabled porch with
glazed front. Small, modern set-back side extension.

Merry
14-03-11, 19:58
Do you have a photo?

Go to google maps, put in

Whitley Cottage, Goathurst Common, Ide Hill, Sevenoaks

and the street view is right outside the door. You can zoom in on the name plate! lol

Sue at the seaside
14-03-11, 20:05
Do you have a photo?

Go to google maps, put in

Whitley Cottage, Goathurst Common, Ide Hill, Sevenoaks

and the street view is right outside the door. You can zoom in on the name plate! lol

It is fantastic isn't it, It does look a bit like the place Dad took us to, but I thought it was a semi !!! I'm going to have to get a pic to show Mum and ask her if she recognises it. At her birthday do I took a photo of her MIL that had been sent to me from a contact, but she didn't recognise her, the photo was taken when she was about 18 so I don't blame her!

Sue at the seaside
14-03-11, 20:08
Thanks for the help, with the name Quittenden I've been able to track them back through the Censuses, Obviously wasn't in the family for all long as I was told!