PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why a baptism might turn up in an unexpected parish

kiterunner
14-03-11, 13:54
One I've just found in the Bothamsall parish registers - Thomas the son of George Thornhill of Warsop and Mary his wife was baptized September 1st 1766. They came to Harvest here.

They weren't thinking of their descendants doing their family tree!

Durham Lady
14-03-11, 14:23
My OH and I will get blamed for that sort of confusion in the future LOL
Our eldest daughter was born in Lancashire but we took her back to Co Durham to be baptisd at the Church where we were married and where I was baptised. Our second daughter was baptised at Ivybridge in Devon and 3rd daughter at the Garrison Church at Arborfield in Berkshire although she was born at Aldershot in Hampshire. Our son born in Worcestershire was taken to Newcastle Upon Tyne to be baptised at the same Church my OH was baptised at.
Why should we make it easy for future generations :d

anne fraser
14-03-11, 14:43
I was baptised at the church my father had attended near Bath although born just outside Bristol. My mother's family were chapel folks who did not really do christenings.

Nell
14-03-11, 15:38
I've found in my research that quite often the firstborn child is baptised in the parish where the couple married. Not sure whether its because that's where the bride's mother was and she went to stay there for her confinement, or because they wanted to pay a visit with the new baby and it was convenient to have the child baptised there.

Phoenix
14-03-11, 18:06
I've found in my research that quite often the firstborn child is baptised in the parish where the couple married. Not sure whether its because that's where the bride's mother was and she went to stay there for her confinement, or because they wanted to pay a visit with the new baby and it was convenient to have the child baptised there.

It's been suggested that she then gets a midwife she knows & trusts, which makes sense.

Dad was baptised CofE when he wasn't because the service was at a more suitable time of day!

Breckland Jane
14-03-11, 19:07
My sister is another one who will confound future genealogists. Two of her children were born in Berkshire, the third in Aberdeen - but they were all baptised in the parish next door to the one where my sister was born in Suffolk.

Jane

marquette
14-03-11, 20:32
I thought my g-g-grandparents had run off to London in disgrace - they were married just one week before their son was born. But they took him back to Brighton to be baptised, and the next child. Before the third one came along, they had moved to Brighton. So all the children were baptised in the same church, but born (or registered) in different places.

Di

Breckland Jane
14-03-11, 20:37
My sons weren't baptised but their birth registrations will probably confuse people. The first was born in the same county as we lived in but in a different registration district. The second was born in a different county to the one we were living in.

Jane

HarrysMum
14-03-11, 21:39
It's worth checking the PRs anyway.

There is one I saw in Lancs OPC site where the children of one couple are there as well as a note saying..

"Mary Bloggs, child of the same parents was baptised at......."

The records for ........... don't have her baptism at all.

I can't remember the exact names or places........they weren't mine...lol

Merry
15-03-11, 06:19
At what point in history did the church (or should I perhaps say the guardians of the poor/church) stop insisting babies were baptised in their home parish? Presumably they didn't worry too much if the family had money, so there must have been a sort of sliding scale attitude to this?

DaveK
22-03-11, 14:50
None of our four children were baptized in the same state in which they were born - we took them all to the same priest, an old family friend of my wife's, in whichever parish he currently resided!

Jill
22-03-11, 16:28
My brother was baptized when we went to stay at my granny's for Christmas 2 counties away from where he was born.

JBee
22-03-11, 16:34
A great bonus if you have catholics in your tree is that you get the godparents names who may or may not be relatives.

I also looked at catholic marriage parish records and found on one the mother's christian names too (unfortunately not the surname) but a great leap forward as they were from Ireland (somewhere).

lozaras
23-03-11, 06:36
It's just as well we're writing it all down for our own families isn't it? I must remember to write the reasons...

N° 1 son - born in France but baptised in the parish my brother lives in in England because he's a godfather.
N° 2 son - born in France but baptised in my parents' parish.
Daughter - born in the middle east but baptised in the French church I was married in, at the same time as her cousin. The two older boys were blessed on the same day.

They've all got 2 pairs of godparents too (2 English & 2 French).

Merry
23-03-11, 10:38
It's just as well we're writing it all down for our own families isn't it?

That's easy for me as none of us are baptised! lol

kiterunner
23-03-11, 10:48
Same here. Anyway, nowadays we have birth certificates.

Gert in Oz
23-03-11, 10:48
My middle child, a son was born in England, but baptised in Australia 4 years later.

Rachel
23-03-11, 18:27
Gt gt grandfather and his siblings were baptised in batches in Abingdon, Oxon/Berks 1812 - 1827 but I don't know if they were all born there.
Their father was a Bargeman and was evidently getting them done when he was there for any significant amount of time.

ElizabethHerts
23-03-11, 21:36
I grew up and lived in Devon until I was 18. I was born in Guildford, where my mother came from, but I was baptised in Devon, but I doubt anyone would guess the village!

When OH and I married we married just outside Guildford at my grandparents' local church, despite the fact they had both died.

I am probably one of few people of my age whose christening is on the Internet! I came across it quite by chance a few years ago and it is still there! I was pleased because I didn't know the precise date.

Uncle John
24-03-11, 19:38
I was baptised (my mother told me so) but I have not the foggiest idea where. My parents weren't religious but apparently my great-aunt insisted.

JayG
24-03-11, 20:37
My branch is abit boring lol

I was baptised in the same church as my dad (1952), his mother (1916), her mother (1888) & also the later two were married (1911 & 1950).

Breckland Jane
24-03-11, 21:59
I was baptised in the same church as my dad (1919), his mother (1886), her father (1852), his father (1810) and mother (1815) and his father (1778). Even more boring but also nice to feel so connected to this little village.

Jane

Rachel
25-03-11, 08:20
This has got me thinking about my late father.
He was born in Eire and his grandmother waited until his mother was out of the house and had him baptised as a Roman Catholic, so the story goes.

Exactly what his parents did not want and I've no idea how she managed it

Chris in Sussex
27-03-11, 22:03
My town is on one of the old stage coach routes from London to the coast and there are quite a few baptisms for babies of parents residing at a place near to the route or somewhere in 'London'.

Obviously some pregnant women were 'caught short', maybe on the way to stay with Mum for the confinement....All that bouncing about!!!!...And had the baby baptised here, just in case.

Chris