PDA

View Full Version : Birth in Jersey 1874

Uncle John
23-09-09, 07:51
I'm trying to find the birth of Alfred Joseph Mitchell who died in Sunderland in May 1880 aged 6. I have his death certificate so I know it's the right death.

Sunderland Register Office told me that there's a corresponding birth on FMP in St. Saviour, Jersey on 26 April 1874. Could some kind soul please let me know the parents' names and any other details.

This is not the Alfred Joseph born in Sunderland in December 1880, who is his brother.

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 10:21
Hi UJ

What a shame you didn't ask earlier in the year I went to Jersey in June & could have had a look for you!

You can order certificates from St Helier but they have just put their costs up to £20 a certificate :eek:

Their bmds are kept in beautifully bound books in the Registrar's Office, he is a very nice young man of about 70 lol! They are written in Jersiaise which is a form of Norman French I think.

I would suggest you ask the Channel Islands Family History Society which will charge £10 an hour for a search :

http://www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org/research or try

http://www.societe-jersiaise.org/library/genealogy-resources.html

Or you could wait until I go again in a couple of years time lol :d

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 10:24
I just read your post again & realised that you mean there is a birth noted on FMP? I didn't know they had Jersey births on there?

Ignore what I just said then lol! I don't have a sub for FMP but will watch this space as I would be interested what info there will be on him, as I didn't think any of their bmds were available outside the Channel Islands :rolleyes:

:)

Uncle John
23-09-09, 10:30
It was a surprise to me.

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 10:44
Well I just tested it using my one UJ & he doesn't come up :( Are you sure they just don't mean that he appears on a census as being born in Jersey?

I am sure that FMP don't hold Jersey baptisms :rolleyes:

HarrysMum
23-09-09, 11:11
I had a quick look at FMP and couldn't see any likely Jersey records.

Uncle John
23-09-09, 14:25
This is what the registrar wrote in March:

I have checked the website findmypast and the birth was registered in St
Saviour which is in Jersey.

You could try the website www.cab.org.je

I have emailed the registrar again to ask for confirmation of the database where they found the information.

The baptism took place in St. Mary's RC chapel in Sunderland which was the family's church (IGI Batch C012344).

I'm not minded to shell out for a Jersey record for a child who died.

vallee
23-09-09, 15:01
Alfred Joseph Mitchell
Jun
St Saviour Southwark
London, Surrey
Volume: 1d
Page: 96

sure its not St Saviour Southwark ????????????????????

did you mean the other one was born in 1874 not died

Margaret in Burton
23-09-09, 15:13
Reckon Val is right and the registrar needs a geography lesson.

I think there is a St Saviour in Jersey but you would have thought that they knew the GRO indexes were England and Wales only.

Oh, just googled it and it isn't in Jersey anyway it's Guernsey.

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 15:14
Oh Val that looks promising! I bet that's what they meant, that he was born St Saviours according to the registration, there's no baptism in that area according to Ancestry but I do think you are on the right track there! Don't forget Catholic baptisms won't be on Ancestry anyway :)

vallee
23-09-09, 15:15
feel a right idiot if Im wrong lol

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 15:16
Well done Val lol!! :d

vallee
23-09-09, 15:18
and from LDS

Alfred Joseph Mitchell

Birth: 26 APR 1874

Christening: 21 MAY 1874 St Marys, Sunderland, Durham, England

Parents:
Father: Joannis Edwardi Mitchell

Joan of Archives
23-09-09, 15:51
I'm trying to find the birth of Alfred Joseph Mitchell who died in Sunderland in May 1880 aged 6. I have his death certificate so I know it's the right death.

Sunderland Register Office told me that there's a corresponding birth on FMP in St. Saviour, Jersey on 26 April 1874. Could some kind soul please let me know the parents' names and any other details.

This is not the Alfred Joseph born in Sunderland in December 1880, who is his brother.

Uncle John if that's his brother do you not know who his parents were? :confused:

Uncle John
23-09-09, 19:35
Alfred Joseph Mitchell
Jun
St Saviour Southwark
London, Surrey
Volume: 1d
Page: 96

sure its not St Saviour Southwark ????????????????????

did you mean the other one was born in 1874 not died

and from LDS

Alfred Joseph Mitchell

Birth: 26 APR 1874

Christening: 21 MAY 1874 St Marys, Sunderland, Durham, England

Parents:
Father: Joannis Edwardi Mitchell

Uncle John if that's his brother do you not know who his parents were? :confused:

Thanks Val, I now remember I found the Southwark birth ages ago and discounted it because it was so far from home. Much more likely than Jersey/Guernsey. The bap. on the IGI is the one I found.

Joan - they match up because the informant for the death is the same father as for the birth of the second Alfred Joseph.

I'm now wondering if this is all tied up with the bankruptcy proceedings the father was in the middle of at the time. Did he have to appear at Carey Street or was he on the run from his creditors?

I feel an investment of £7 coming on.

Margaret in Burton
23-09-09, 19:44
well done Val

vallee
23-09-09, 19:54
oh was it right then thank goodness

Uncle John
23-09-09, 19:55
I'll want my £7 back if it isn't!

vallee
23-09-09, 20:26