PDA

View Full Version : Hertfordshire wills question

Merry
12-03-11, 13:03
BK6 updated from this thread

I have the will of one William Smith tailor, probate 1838 'of Puckridge in the parish of Standon'. I think William was buried 2nd Feb 1837 in Standon aged 60. His widow appears on the 1841 census aged 65.

Anyway, in the will William says:

"I give unto my said wife Sarah Smith during her natural life all that my freehold messuage in two habitations situate at Puckridge aforesaid with the outhouses yards gardens and appurtenances thereunto belonging and now in the occupation of myself and Phebe Castle (Widow) situate at Puckeridge aforesaid and which were left to me by the will of my late father John Smith"

I am desperate to locate this will of his father, John Smith, because I'm hoping William is a brother of my 3xg-grandfather James Smith, tailor of Standon b 1770, and John Smith would therefore be my 4xg grandfather.

Clearly the problem is I don't know when or where John Smith died and I think his may be a common name :rolleyes::o If he died in Standon then his death was probably before 1800 as my version of the NBI doesn't have a sensible burial after that date. However, he might have died elsewhere .....who knows? lol

So, does anyone know how tricky it is to access Hertfordshire wills (as I don't see anything obvious in the PCC index) and whether they are indexed at all?

kiterunner
12-03-11, 13:40
Try on here:
https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=2_1299940946390

kiterunner
12-03-11, 13:43
Sorry, that link doesn't work!

Try this one, and click on Search Hertfordshire Names Online.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/indexes/

Then you will want the Advanced Search - Wills.

Merry
12-03-11, 13:46
Thanks Kate, the link didn't work though, but I'm just looking for "An index to wills held at Hertfordshire Archives and local Studies can be found on our online index Hertfordshire Names Online."

kiterunner
12-03-11, 13:48
The latest link I posted should work?

Merry
12-03-11, 13:51
Hmmm......nothing stands out. I've just realised that as he must have been alive in 1806 (from docs I have here) then he wasn't buried in Standon which means he could have been anywhere. :(

Merry
12-03-11, 13:52
The latest link I posted should work?

Yes it did - sorry we cross-posted!

kiterunner
12-03-11, 13:52
So his will could be on TNA after all?

kiterunner
12-03-11, 13:57
There is a Settlement on that same site (Hertfordshire Names, not TNA!) of John Smith from Braughing to Standon, 1770, if that's any help.

Merry
12-03-11, 14:04
Hmmm, interesting.If only they were not called Smith! lol!

Apparently, I promised to take dau to the shops so will have to go out soon. :(

Merry
13-03-11, 06:00
So his will could be on TNA after all?

In the night I realised my post #6 was a load of old rubbish as I was speaking of the wron Mr Smith. So John Smith died between about 1777 (birth of Wm) and before Wm wrote his own will which was around 1836 (I don't have the exact date to hand)