PDA

View Full Version : Two baptisms for the same person?

Joan of Archives
22-09-09, 22:42
Just found one of mine baptised in London.

Nothing strange about that except he was baptised in 1895 when he was 30 years old at the same time as his daughter :rolleyes:

How odd! Plus they were from Berkshire not London!

There are also two baptism entries for two churches?

Elizabeth Gertrude Augusta Brooker 6 Oct 1895
Parents Thomas Edwin Brooker, Elizabeth Sophia Brooker All Souls, Langham Place Westminster

And:
Elizabeth Gertrude Augusta Brooker 6 Oct 1895
Parents Thomas Edwin Brooker, Elizabeth Sophia Brooker All Saints, Saint Marylebone Westminster

Can anyone tell me why the two baptisms in different churches? Thomas was baptised in both as well! :confused:

kiterunner
22-09-09, 22:50
Think I'll leave that one for the morning, Joan! Could be one is a chapel belonging to the main church, or one could be a mistake?

Durham Lady
23-09-09, 06:40
Oh I had that in a lookup I did for someone, I asked a member of staff at the History Centre and was told one was the Parent (main) Church and often if the baptism had taken place in the Chapelry (minor Church) then the vicar would often register it in both registers.

kiterunner
23-09-09, 09:22
If you look at the images, they both say "All Souls" at the top of the page and list all the same baptisms, so it must just be one has been copied out from the other and ancestry have put the wrong church name on for the All Saints one.

surferneil
14-11-11, 15:16
Thomas Edwin Brooker had a son by the same name. The younger one was born in Blackheath in Kent. Father was born in Reading as you know.

Elizabeth G A Brooker was born Kensington in 1895 after Thomas Edwin junior so presumably the family moved from Kent to London after Thomas Edwin junior's birth.

Does this help?

PS Thomas Edwin senior was moving around as he was in the army. (Army Service Corps).

Nell
14-11-11, 16:29
No help, but my gt x 3 grandmother Hannah was baptised on the same day as her son, my gt x 2 grandfather Emmets. She had married in the church and already had a son baptised there, so no idea why she was baptised then.

Janet in Yorkshire
14-11-11, 18:21
I have a couple of children bp twice in the same parish - firstly at the chapel, then again a few years later in the village church. (Presumably a "denominational" change of allegiance!)

I have a few more who were baptised as infants and then baptised again in adulthood. However, these second baptisms have always been in a church in a different location.
Possibly there was a doubt about whether or not the person was baptised, the vicar was unable to clarify the matter by looking back in the bp register, so a second bp was conducted, just to make sure.

Jay

kiterunner
14-11-11, 18:21
This is a thread from 2 years ago, so Joan may have sorted it all out since it was first posted.

Joan of Archives
15-11-11, 22:19
This is a thread from 2 years ago, so Joan may have sorted it all out since it was first posted.

Erm I haven't but now Neil is on here maybe he may know the answers lol :rolleyes:

samesizedfeet
15-11-11, 22:59
I have a whole batch of children who were baptised as and when they were born and then all re-baptised on the day of their mother's funeral. Same church as well so it's not a question over the vicar not knowing if they'd been done or not