PDA

View Full Version : Probate Calender for 1965 and 1972 lookup please Update #18

Margaret in Burton
12-03-11, 09:19
I was told that both of OH's grandfathers left Wills. In fact we have a letter from a solicitor that states to OH's grandmother that the house was only left to her in her lifetime in her husbands will and would revert to her daughter (OH's mother) on her death.
Sent for both of them and have had letters back stating that no Wills can be found. It does say that only "the spelling of the name above was used".

I'm wondering if the names were mis-spelt or middle names missed out. Does anyone have access at their library or record office to a later probate calendar that Ancestry?

Peter Henry Harrison died 21 April 1965. He died in Uxbridge St, Burton on Trent, although his home address was Swadlincote Rd, Woodville, Derbyshire.

Frederick Arthur Brewer died 22 September 1972 . He lived in Shobnall Rd, Burton on Trent.

Here's hoping. :):):)

kiterunner
12-03-11, 10:28
I can look at entries up to 1968 at Notts Archives but I don't know when I'll be going again, maybe not for a while. Could it be that it took a few years for probate to be granted, so it was past the number of years that York search? (I think they do 4 years for your £5).

Margaret in Burton
12-03-11, 11:01
I can look at entries up to 1968 at Notts Archives but I don't know when I'll be going again, maybe not for a while. Could it be that it took a few years for probate to be granted, so it was past the number of years that York search? (I think they do 4 years for your £5).

Thanks Kate

No, the letter said they searched for Peter from 21 April 1965 to 8 March 2011 and for Fred from 22 sept 1972 to 8 March 2011.

I sent to Birmingham not York

Margaret in Burton
13-03-11, 15:12
Just asked OH's uncle is he sure his father left a will, Peter Henry Harrison. He says definitely as it was at the solicitors and they all got £600 each.

So, why does the Birmingham probate office say they can't find one? It must hinge on the spelling of the name. This was said for both of them.

I'm wondering if the index doesn't give the middle names or perhaps just an initial.

kiterunner
13-03-11, 15:25
It never gives an initial and it should give the middle name if it is on the will.

Margaret in Burton
13-03-11, 15:31
It never gives an initial and it should give the middle name if it is on the will.

Well it's very odd. Both have their full names on their death certs.

Peter Henry Harrison is determined I'm not going to find anything out about him isn't he. :mad::mad::mad:

kiterunner
13-03-11, 15:32
I'll try to get over to the archives soon and have a look, Marg.

Margaret in Burton
13-03-11, 15:39
Thank you Kate.

I find it very strange that neither will has been traced. Frederick Brewer left one as we have a letter from a solicitor telling his widow that the house was left to her daughter in her husbands will.

Carolyn P
13-03-11, 19:57
I'm hoping to go up to First Avenue House in High Holborn in about a month's time, if your wills still haven't been located by then, I'll have a look for you.

Margaret in Burton
13-03-11, 20:08
Thank you Carolyn

I can only think they don't have the middle name on the index.

Seems very petty not to send the wills. Have given exact dates of death on both and addresses.

Carolyn P
13-03-11, 20:57
OK Marg, I will check back on this thread before I go up.

Jill
14-03-11, 06:28
I found them to bevery picky about the exact name. In the index calendars ar Frist Avenue House my relation Frederick was listed as Freederick - I duly used the wrong spelling though the girl on the desk corrected it to Frederick. A few days later I was informed there was no such will.

Margaret in Burton
14-03-11, 08:58
I found them to bevery picky about the exact name. In the index calendars ar Frist Avenue House my relation Frederick was listed as Freederick - I duly used the wrong spelling though the girl on the desk corrected it to Frederick. A few days later I was informed there was no such will.

I bet it's something like that. I've re-read the letter from the solicitor about the estate of Fred Brewer and it says "fees for proving the will". Surely that means there IS a will.

Did you query it Jill?

kiterunner
14-03-11, 12:09
National Probate Calendar entry from 1965:

HARRISON Peter Henry of 139 Swadlincote Road Woodville Derbyshire died 21 April 1965 at 326 Uxbridge Street Burton-on-Trent Probate London 29 July to Reginald Horace Harrison gas board official and Leslie Harrison public service vehicle driver. £4720.

As for why Birmingham couldn't find it, I guess either it's not on their computer system for some reason (or it's wrong on there) or they didn't look properly. If they still can't produce the will with the above information I suppose you would have to try York or London, not sure which would be best.

Margaret in Burton
14-03-11, 14:43
Thanks Kate

I'm going to have to get in touch with them. They've basically just took my £5 and done nothing by the look of it.

Margaret in Burton
14-03-11, 15:05
I've emailed the Birmingham Probate Office and complained.

Jill
14-03-11, 16:39
Did you query it Jill?

I didn't Margaret as I was notified over the phone so I ordered a different (and more interesting one) one to replace it.

Margaret in Burton
21-03-11, 09:42
After sending an email of complaint when Kate found the 1965 will in the probate calender for Peter Henry Harrison I have had a letter from Birmingham Probate Office this morning.

"Further to your email dated 15th March 2011 I now have pleasure in enclosing the Wills and Grants for the above named.
Unfortunately with some of the older Wills they are not always picked up on our Willfinder machine. After further investigation with microfiche records we were able to locate the details for Frederick Brewer.
Please accept our apologies for the extra inconvenience this has caused you".

Guess what! Both Wills enclosed. If I hadn't been certain that both did leave Wills they would have had my £10 under false pretences.

Please take note everyone, if you are sure there is a will then don't let it drop!

What the heck is a Willfinder Machine?

Sabrina
21-03-11, 10:05
Well done Marg!

not always picked up on our Willfinder machine

Sounds like a case of bad workmen blaming their tools to me! :D

Kite - where do you find later National Probate Calendar entries than 1941?

tenterfieldjulie
21-03-11, 10:08
It sounds like something from Dr. Who or Calling Will Robinson... Whatever it is. it is obviously not very good at it Marg. Or possibly operator error, that they don't want to admit.

Margaret in Burton
21-03-11, 10:13
Well done Marg!

Sounds like a case of bad workmen blaming their tools to me! :D

It sounds like something from Dr. Who or Calling Will Robinson... Whatever it is. it is obviously not very good at it Marg. Or possibly operator error, that they don't want to admit.

I don't call 1965 and 1972 older Wills either.

If "the machine" has a problem with those then how the heck does it cope with the 1800's?

Merry
21-03-11, 10:45
I don't call 1965 and 1972 older Wills either.

If "the machine" has a problem with those then how the heck does it cope with the 1800's?

lol! I would guess given what you said at the start.......:

have had letters back stating that no Wills can be found. It does say that only "the spelling of the name above was used".

.........that the 'machine' was asked by the operator for the correct spelling but the will was on the machine's data base with the wrong spelling. :(

kiterunner
21-03-11, 10:52
The "Willfinder machine" must be their computer system.

I'm lucky enough to live near a record office that has the bound volumes covering the years from the end of the microfiches up to 1968, Sabrina.

annswabey
21-03-11, 13:49
Yes, Willfinder is their computer system. It is searchable at Holborn but there are warnings saying that it's not complete, so a Probate Office presumably shouldn't be relying on it.

kiterunner
21-03-11, 14:19
Though to be fair, York is the search department.

Margaret in Burton
21-03-11, 15:28
Yes, Willfinder is their computer system. It is searchable at Holborn but there are warnings saying that it's not complete, so a Probate Office presumably shouldn't be relying on it.

No they shouldn't.

Margaret in Burton
21-03-11, 15:30
Though to be fair, York is the search department.

It may be Kate, but they don't say the other offices don't do searches.

Sabrina
21-03-11, 16:57
I'm lucky enough to live near a record office that has the bound volumes covering the years from the end of the microfiches up to 1968

Thanks Kite, I shall have to see what Gloucester has. It would be good to have them a bit more recent online - I suppose that is because of data protection.