PDA

View Full Version : 3rd/East Kent Regiment.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 08:34
I found information today that related to John McCrohon, who was with the 4th Foot Regiment. It said that his father was possibly John McCrohon who joined the 3rd/East Kent Regt in 1806, was a Lieutenant in 1808 and Retired injured as Captain on half pay.
I tried googling the Regiment and although there is quite a lot on the Regiment before and after this date, (they became the Buffs) there is not anything that relates to this date.
Can anyone direct me to where I may be able to find information about him and his regiment at that time? Being retired injured at that time, would he have been a Chelsea Pensioner?
The only thing that we know for sure is that his son John was born in 1795 at Limerick, there was also another son William who was also with the 4th Foot. We think the boys mother was named Margaret.

JBee
12-03-11, 08:58
National Archives is probably your best bet - though the Army List (for Officers) might have him in - I don't know when it started. or what info it contains.

I had to go the NA and look through the Muster Books for the 71st c1840 - unfortunately found two soldiers with same name in the Regiment. However it did give me his age and date and place of enlistment.

Ah just twigged where you are - visiting the NA isn't going to be a viable proposition. Perhaps if someone is going they could do you a look up.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 09:22
I did visit there last July Julie and I realise that you need to go very well prepared. I didn't think I was going to get there and so I hadn't done my homework. Hopefully if I get back this year, I will have a better idea of references and where I need to look. If I could get his age and place of enlistment, that might be what I need to confirm I have the right man.

kiterunner
12-03-11, 10:33
There are 3 John McCrohans who come up on findmypast in the British Army Service Records 1760-1913 with ? for year of birth and no birthplace listed on the index. You could try looking at those.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 10:36
Thanks Kate, sometimes they tantilize you by not putting info.

kiterunner
12-03-11, 10:39
One of my ancestors has a ? and it seems to be just because the bit with his birth details on is sideways on to the rest of it.

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 10:40
Oh wouldn't that be wonderful. I'll check on Monday. Thank you.

annswabey
12-03-11, 14:20
This one, on the National Archives catalogue could be your man, and it should be on FindMyPast

WO 97/263/122 More informationJOHN MCCROHON Born LIMERICK, Limerick Served in 4th Foot Regiment; 1st West India Foot Discharged aged 40 1810-1837

kiterunner
12-03-11, 14:25
That's his son, isn't it?

annswabey
12-03-11, 15:38
Yes, that's the son. If his father was an Officer then his records won't be on FMP.

A basic summary of his career could be obtained from the Army List - date of commission and any promotions, date of leaving etc. Might be worth searching the London Gazette for the father too, as promotions should be listed in there.

Any records for him will be at Kew, not online.

kiterunner
12-03-11, 15:59
Ah, I see - it's not very clear on findmypast because it says "Whereas many other military records provide information about officer class soldiers, these records include papers from ordinary soldiers of other ranks." So it should say "these records ONLY include..."!

annswabey
12-03-11, 16:44
Well, yes! They're never very specific, are they?!

HarrysMum
12-03-11, 20:38
Google Books has a snippet about a vessel registered in 1775 and John McCrohon was the first master.

Not sure if that is worth following??

Seems he was involved in the USA.