PDA

View Full Version : Two matching wives?

Merry
10-03-11, 21:14
BK6 updated from this thread

You know how it seems quite common for a man to marry more than one wife with the same forename (hopefully not at the same time!). Well this chap I'm researching seems to have had two wives with exactly the same name! I am just trying to get my head round it in public, in case anyone can spot more info or any flaws in what I think I've found....

His name is Peregrine Hogg Purvis.....

1) I can't find a baptism. From his second marriage cert his father was John Purvis, a tailor. Probably b about 1805 at Bishopsgate London.

2) There is this marriage on the IGI:

PEREGRINE HOGG PURVIS Marriages:
Spouse: MARY GROUT
Marriage: 05 FEB 1832 Saint Luke Old Street, Finsbury, London, England
Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

3) These two children:

Peregrine Grout Purvis bap 31st Oct 1834 St Mary Whitechapel
Mary Purvis bap 29th Jun 1836 St Mary Whitechapel

4) I can't find an 1841 census record

5) I can't find a burial for his wife Mary Grout/Purvis or for either of the children.

6) 24th Aug 1844 marriage of Peregrine Hogg Purvis, widower to (another) Mary Grout, spinster (father Wm Grout, harness maker), at St Mary Haggerston. Witnesses are Wm Grout (bride's father) and Jane Smith (bride's sister, who is married to my relative).

7) 1851 they are at Trafalgar Place East Haggerston, Shoreditch
Peregrine 45 b Middlesex Bishopsgate
Mary 43 b Buntingford, Herts
one child, this one:
Births Mar 1845
PURVIS Peregrine Shoreditch 2 374

8) 1861 they are at Highfield Row (?) Edmonton
Peregrine 55 b London City
Mary 53 b Buntingford

9) 1871 The Cedars, Winchmore Hill
Peregrine 65 b London City
Mary 63 b Herts
Peregrine 26 b Shoreditch

10) Deaths Sep 1880
Purvis Peregrine Hogg 74 Edmonton 3a 154

His will is proved soon after. The exors are his son, Peregrine, and his brother-in-law, George Smith, who is my relative. I'm fairly sure the Grouts will turn out to be my relatives too, just that I've not worked out quite how yet!

I really need to find the 1841 census to see if Mrs P the 1st was alive or dead at that point, to have any chance of working out who she was!

Joan of Archives
10-03-11, 22:09
I assume you've tried the variation Purves? :rolleyes:

Kit
10-03-11, 23:41
She may be a Mary 2 may be a cousin of Mary 1.

I have something similar. OH's 2g aunt married, had kids and died early. I kept tracing her husband trying to follow what happened to the kids. On the next census he is married again. A bit more research shows he married her cousin.

I figure a relative of the first wife is likely to look after the kids properly, esp when the second wife doesn't have kids of her own.

Gert in Oz
11-03-11, 01:58
I was going to say the same as Toni, cousins or 2nd cousins, depending on the ages, i have a similar situation,only with sisters.

Jenoco
11-03-11, 02:41
As Toni says, perhaps the two Marys were cousins. You've probably already found Mary 2 in 1841, but in case not, she's at home in Buntingford with her father and siblings:
HO107 Piece 443 Folio 12/33 Page 14 (sorry don't have Ancestry).

marquette
11-03-11, 02:42
I looked for the first marriage in the LMA records on ancestry. Because i don't have a sub, I cannot look at the details, but Peregrine is transcribed as PURRIS. Just, checked again - the 1844 marriage seems to have him as Peregrine Hogg Purvis..

So if you search for Mary Grout marrying Peregrine Purris, you get might details of her father.

This is the page you need to start from

http://search.ancestry.com.au/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623

Di

Merry
11-03-11, 06:16
I assume you've tried the variation Purves? :rolleyes:

Erm, Yes!! :rolleyes::D

She may be a Mary 2 may be a cousin of Mary 1.

That was my assumption, though I do haveone family on my tree with two adult brothers with the same first names (they loved this unusual situation!!). I'm still thinking cousins/aunt/niece for the Grouts though!

You've probably already found Mary 2 in 1841, but in case not, she's at home in Buntingford with her father and siblings:
HO107 Piece 443 Folio 12/33 Page 14 (sorry don't have Ancestry).

Thanks Jenny, yes I did, but forgot to say so above, sorry!

i have a similar situation,only with sisters.

Me too, but not with the same first names yet!

So if you search for Mary Grout marrying Peregrine Purris, you get might details of her father.

This is the page you need to start from

http://search.ancestry.com.au/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623

Di, stop leading me astray with the New Search! lol thanks for the surname mis-transcription. I could have sworn I searched on her name only and the year - obviously not :o

Marriage was 5th Feb 1832 at St Luke Finsbury. Mary Grout the First was a spinster and Peregrine a bachelor. The witnesses were Rebecca Sophia Purvis and a Grout whose first name I can't read! lol It might even say Mrs Grout, but I doubt it! :d

Merry
11-03-11, 06:21
It would seem Rebecca Sophia Purvis is Peregrine Hogg Purvis's sister as there is a bap in St Bot Bishopsgate in 1809 for a child of that name, dau of John and Elizabeth.

Why is it I'm always looking for Smiths and Marys and it's always the Peregrines and Rebecca Sophias who are only vaguely connected? lolol

tenterfieldjulie
11-03-11, 07:30
Thought I would throw this in for your amusement Merry. Clarence Smith married Emily Purvis in Tenterfield. Their children's surname then became Purvis-Smith!!

Merry
11-03-11, 07:48
*glares at Julie* :(:d

marquette
11-03-11, 07:54
Sorry Merry.. didn't mean to lead you astray.

No father named for Mary Grout no1 ? I was hoping it might give you a clue.

If Mary Grout no2 and Jane (Grout) Smith were sisters, the daughter of William, have you been able to check of William's brothers or cousins children ? or that too far out on a limb of your tree ?

Anyway, the Purris variation might help with finding them in 1841. ooh, I just found an ancestry tree for Rebecca Sophia Purvis - without a sub it only shows a marriage in "Mayo" and death in Worcestershire. Maybe they were all in Ireland for the 1841 census ?, cause they are just not showing up in London !

Di

HarrysMum
11-03-11, 08:34
THat tree has Rebecca marrying John Frederick Feeney in 1833 in Mayo, if that's any help.

HarrysMum
11-03-11, 08:36
Has to be her. the second child is Peregrine Mulgrove Feeney...neat.....lol

Merry
11-03-11, 08:48
Thanks Libby!

No father named for Mary Grout no1 ? I was hoping it might give you a clue.

If Mary Grout no2 and Jane (Grout) Smith were sisters, the daughter of William, have you been able to check of William's brothers or cousins children ? or that too far out on a limb of your tree ?

Anyway, the Purris variation might help with finding them in 1841. ooh, I just found an ancestry tree for Rebecca Sophia Purvis - without a sub it only shows a marriage in "Mayo" and death in Worcestershire. Maybe they were all in Ireland for the 1841 census ?, cause they are just not showing up in London !

Di

No father's name for Mary grout 1 because the marriage is before 1837.

I only found out William Grout's name yesterday, and I don't know where he was born except in Herts, so it might be difficult to find his siblings and their descendants. I don't know yet how they fit into my tree, except for Jane Grout marring a son of my 3xg-grandfather. I'm sure there will be more to it than that though, as this is part of the Maynard web which involves lots of confusing intermarrying across families and across the miles, a bit like some people called Ariel :rolleyes:

Very interesting about the Mayo marriage. I've only just taken in that Peregrine and his son were seriously rich. The other Purvis's I've identified in this photo album were shoemakers and Peregrine's father was a tailor, so I guess he is the only one who made a stash. His son, Peregrine, who was b in 1845 never married and his housekeeper for 20+ years was my great-great aunt, so now I'm wondering if he left her anything? I can't see if she herself left a will because she died in 1910 and the NPI has 1910 and 1911 missing on Ancestry :(

Merry
11-03-11, 08:48
Has to be her. the second child is Peregrine Mulgrove Feeney...neat.....lol

He's not in my album! lolol

Merry
11-03-11, 09:14
Here is Peregrine Hogg Purvis, in case seeing him gives you a vibe about his wives! lol

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/PeregrineHoggPurvis.jpg

HarrysMum
11-03-11, 09:31
He could have been good at something..............or just seriously rich...lol

I found some Ariels in Dublin actually, but thought I'd keep them to myself for a while Merry.......just spring them out one day when I'm bored.....lol

tenterfieldjulie
11-03-11, 10:30
Run Everyone.

Uncle John
11-03-11, 20:41
Here is Peregrine Hogg Purvis, in case seeing him gives you a vibe about his wives! lol

He looks as if he's constipated or contemplating his piles.

Merry
11-03-11, 23:09
*ignores UJ*

Re finding brothers of Wm Grout in case any of them were the father of the 1st Mary Grout...............

William Grout was a harness maker b abt 1770 in Hertfordshire. I thought I'd found a son of his called Charles b abt 1810 in Enfield Middlesex, because he was a master saddle and harness maker in 1851.

However, when I looked at his marriage cert on the LMA records I saw his father is Thomas Grout, saddler. I'm thinking maybe Thomas might be a brother to William (Charles was resident in Chipping Barnet Herts on his marriage cert to Ann Garrett),

I'm particularly wondering if Charles may have had a sister who was the first Mrs Purvis. These are the witnesses to his marriage (1842 at MEOT St Peter)

Mary Grout (not another one!)
Ann Garrett (mother of the bride - she is with the family in 1851)
Jane Grout (could be my Jane who married George Smith the following year)
Margaret Purvis (who is she?)
?? Grout (this is the same sig that looked like Mrs Grout when witnessing the marriage of Peregrine H Purvis and the first Mary Grout in 1832.)

Merry
11-03-11, 23:14
Thomas Grout's children bap at Enfield (mother Susannah):

Martha 1802

Thomas 1803

James 1805

Mary 1808

Charles 1811

Jane 1813

I would imagine Mary who was witness to the marriage in 1842 would probably not be the one b 1808 as the chances are she would be married by then (to Peregrine?)

Merry
12-03-11, 07:09
Another LMA marriage...

It's the same date in 1842 as the one I posted between Charles Grout and Ann Garrett (so a double wedding or one after the other?)

This time we have James Grout, saddler of Enfield, son of Thomas Grout, saddler (so brother to the other groom), marrying Margaret Purvis (the witness from the oter marriage. She is dau of Thomas Purvis bootmaker.

Witnesses are Thomas Purvis (bride's father?)
Thomas Grout (groom's father?)
Jane Winch (?)
Isabella Shaw (?)

Please could someone look at these two marriages and tell me if the witness I've written down for this last marriage as Thomas Grout and the witness I've written down as ?? Grout (looks like Mrs Grout - the same sig as on the 1832 marriage for Peregrine H Purvis) for the other marriage on the same day between Charles Grout and Ann Garrett (indexed as Garrell) are actually the same signature?!!!

Asa
12-03-11, 07:19
That is definitely the same - and when you look at the 1832 signature with that knowledge, it's clear that it's Thos.

Merry
12-03-11, 07:23
I am getting a headache now..........James Grout and Margaret Purvis have a dau Margaret Purvis Grout. Margaret P Grout marries Charles Purvis, making herself Margaret Purvis Purvis! lol

Charles Purvis is from Deptford and I have photos of Deptford Grouts. I can't see how I am related to any of these people and am wondering now where this album actually came from? Maybe frommy great-great-aunt who worked for Peregrine Purvis junr. When she died her stuff may have gone to her brother, my great-grandfather. Hmmm......so she had an album of her employers family mixed up with her own?

Merry
12-03-11, 07:26
That is definitely the same - and when you look at the 1832 signature with that knowledge, it's clear that it's Thos.

Thank you very much Asa! :)

I am quite liking this family, even if they are not mine (well one Grout did marry my Smith, so I can say their is a little tie and they probably all knew each other). Some of the mid Victorian photos are pretty scary, esp the women! lol

tenterfieldjulie
12-03-11, 07:34
Do you know the era? Can you post them Merry? Some one might be delighted to claim them?

Merry
12-03-11, 07:49
There's about 80 named ones and about the same unnamed, but I've only scanned about 6 so far! The era is mainly 1860s-1890s I guess, with a very few around 1900ish too.

Also, there's a few pages that are famous people (well, I recognise Queen Victoria , Florence Nightingale, Tennyson and Dickens!) and a lot of men with dog collars and some slightly dubious looking women who may be actresses, all of which look like the sorts of photos that were probably sold to the public. I've not tried to extract them from the album, because I don't think they will be named, coz they woz famous at the time! lol

Actually, I'm now wondering about a project to create a photobucket album of them all. My cousin in the States has another of these albums but she won't get it out of her loft, but tells me there is a photo of my great-granny who spent 20 years in an asylum in it. Perhaps if I were to show her what's in my albums - not that she is into FH but she might like to see the photos - she might, or her daughter might, be inspired to climb the ladder?!!

You have got me thinking now, Julie........thanks :)

samesizedfeet
12-03-11, 10:43
I have 3 families that constantly intermarried to keep their money in one place - they'd use cousins, sisters, uncles, aunts, whatever they could find. They are called Crew, Smith and Boulcott. Although as you get further down the tree they are Xxx Boulcott Crew, Xxx Crew Smith, Xxxx Crew Boulcott. Xxxx Boulcott Crew Smith..... you get the picture.

It's a tentative connection as John Crew Smith Dalton married my 5x gt grandmother's half sister - but they're a very interesting family once you get into them. JCS Dalton's mother was a Crew who fell out with her siblings over their father's money after she went to Buenos Aires. She claimed half the father's butcher's empire on his death as her 3 sisters had died childless so her brother William pulled down half the butchers shop and told her that was her half gone. I have the court papers about the dispute. Very good reading.

Merry
12-03-11, 12:33
I have just discovered the tiny link between this 'new' family and my own isn't what I thought (see boring thread here: http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?p=120238#post120238 )

But I think I may plough on with them as I may discover the missing link later and it would be very frustrating to have to make all these discoveries again! lol

Zoe, your lot sound very interesting, especially the court case........ :)

Jenthec
13-03-12, 10:35
Hello Merry. I've just joined this group tonight so that I could reply to you. I am a descendant of the Grout family and have much of this info and might be able to help you a little with some of the details. Peregrine's 1st wife Mary 1 was the daughter of Thomas Grout and Susannah Clark. The second wife Mary 2 was the daughter of Thomas' brother William Grout and Ann Bentiman. Both Mary's were born in 1808 and they were cousins. For more confusion, Peregrine Hogg Purvis had 2 sons named Peregrine, one with each wife. So we presume the first one, born 1834, died before the second one was born in 1845. I can't yet be certain of date of Mary 1's death or the 1st son Peregrine. Hope this helps for starters.... Jenthec

Merry
13-03-12, 15:34
Hi and welcome to GF.

Yes, I have virtually the same information as you mention above except for one vital bit (well, vital for me!!) and that is I don't have Ann Bentiman on my tree, but instead I have Ann Smith, the sister of my 4xg-grandfather, James Smith.

I have the first child for Wm Grout and his wife Ann as Sarah Grout baptised in Layston, Hertfordshire in 1800. Rather than the marriage to Ann Bentiman in 1781 (when Wm Grout would have been too young to get married), I have William Grout marrying Ann Smith at St John's Hackney. Here's the entry;

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Other%20Research/WilliamGroutAnnSmithMarriageEntry.jpg

I have also not yet found the burial record for the first of the two Peregrines (b 1834) but I do have the burial for his mother on 5th Jan 1837 at Cheshunt, Herts, which is on the National Burial Index.

I don't know if this link will work for you, but it's to my Photobucket album of Grout and associated photos. These are pictures which I think originally belonged to my great-great-aunt, Harriet Maynard, who was housekeeper to Peregrine Purvis 1844-1904 (and also his second cousin!). I hope there's something of interest to you.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Maynard%20Album%201%20Photos/

HarrysMum
13-03-12, 19:56
Ooooh....an Aussie connection after all....lol

marquette
13-03-12, 20:25
I have also not yet found the burial record for the first of the two Peregrines (b 1834) but I do have the burial for his mother on 5th Jan 1837 at Cheshunt, Herts, which is on the National Burial Index.

I hesitate to mention my ancestor A'Bear from Berks and Oxford, who named both his sons John A'Bear (John and John Burton) and whose sons and grandsons continued the tradition of naming more than one of their sons John - all of whom survived with issue (and issues !!)

So maybe both Peregrines did survive !

Di

Merry
13-03-12, 20:47
lol, well the first one isn't on any census and was cut out of his father's will!! :d

Jenthec
14-03-12, 02:44
Ah..Ha. Going by William's age you must be correct with that marriage. I went by an IGI record which had William Grout marrying Ann Bentiman on 01 Feb 1781 at Albury, Hertford, but that would make him only 12 yo as I have him on another IGI record born to Philip GROAT and Sarah on 17 Sep 1769 at Thundridge. Philip and Sarah were also parents to Thomas, Joseph, James and George, all christened at Braughing. Just for interest there is another wealthy relative in Joseph Grout (brother of William)who lived at Tring Park (1851 Census) with niece Elizabeth, his housekeeper and her husband Rev James Williams. Thanks for the photo bucket - wil try to download. By the way I'm coming to UK in May and hoping to visit Braughing, Puckeridge etc... Guess we just keep trying and hoping for the various death/burial records. Thanks for Mary's above. Jenny

Jenthec
14-03-12, 03:01
Merry - thos e photos are amazing!! Some of them are my ancestors!!! Better fill you in.. I'm the grandaughter of Charles Grout 3rd, son of Charles Grout 2nd and Ann Margaret Knott. My grandfather and his wife Marie Nugent born Ireland emigrated to Australia soon after their marriage in Nov 1912. Lots more but that will do for now... Jenny

Merry
14-03-12, 05:52
Ah..Ha. Going by William's age you must be correct with that marriage. I went by an IGI record which had William Grout marrying Ann Bentiman on 01 Feb 1781 at Albury, Hertford, but that would make him only 12 yo as I have him on another IGI record born to Philip GROAT and Sarah on 17 Sep 1769 at Thundridge. Philip and Sarah were also parents to Thomas, Joseph, James and George, all christened at Braughing. Just for interest there is another wealthy relative in Joseph Grout (brother of William)who lived at Tring Park (1851 Census) with niece Elizabeth, his housekeeper and her husband Rev James Williams. Thanks for the photo bucket - wil try to download. By the way I'm coming to UK in May and hoping to visit Braughing, Puckeridge etc... Guess we just keep trying and hoping for the various death/burial records. Thanks for Mary's above. Jenny

Hi Jenny - Oooh, how exciting for you to be visiting! I went to those places last summer, but not so far for me! lol Be aware Braughing is pronounced 'Braffin' - I was looked at very strangely in a local shop. :rolleyes:

There is a thread about James Williams here:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=9318&highlight=joseph+grout+james+williams

I have Joseph Grout's 14 page will here (probably have one or two others as well, but can't remember off the top of my head). You are welcome to copies if you don't have them already.

Merry - thos e photos are amazing!! Some of them are my ancestors!!! Better fill you in.. I'm the grandaughter of Charles Grout 3rd, son of Charles Grout 2nd and Ann Margaret Knott. My grandfather and his wife Marie Nugent born Ireland emigrated to Australia soon after their marriage in Nov 1912. Lots more but that will do for now... Jenny

I have more photos (that's one album, but there are two more, but the first one is probably the best) which I must get round to, but many are unnamed. Having said that I eventually identified many more than I expected to from the first album.

I don't think I have Ann M Knott on my tree, so I might need to know a bit more to work out where you fit exactly! Of course I am only actually related to the descendants of Wm and Ann Grout nee Smith, not any of the other Grouts, except by marriage, but I got a bit carried away because of the photos!!!

Have to go now as it's 6.50am and I was supposed to wake my daughter 5 mins ago.

'Speak' to you soon.

tenterfieldjulie
14-03-12, 09:45
Oh how exciting for you both. Well done.
I'm another Aussie and visiting UK in May too Jen. Not going to Chelsea Flower Show are you? Cheers. Julie

Jenthec
15-03-12, 03:09
Saw you were from Tenterfield Julie - good to see another Aussie. Funny but weak connection... most of my Grout ancestors were Saddlers and you are from Tenterfield, well known for the song Tenterfield Saddler!! Not Chelsea - will be too busy following up Grout places. Thanks for the heads up Merry on how to pronounce Braughing. Spent ages last night googling Layston and Buntingford, now the one town, but were the places mentioned for Wm and Ann Grout's family. I have a copy of William's will but it only mentions George, William (sons) and Sarah (daughter) by name. So did he and Ann have all the foll chn all listed on Family Search?? Sarah b. 1800, George 1801-02, John Sep 1803, Mary 1808 (2nd wife of Peregrine Hogg Purvis), Ann 1810, William 1812, Jane 1814. All born to William and Ann, all baptised Layston????
Merry that was a double wedding back in 1842 with brothers James and Charles Grout, sons of Thomas G and Susanna Clark, marrying Margaret Purvis and Ann Garrett respectively. I had thought that Margaret Purvis and Peregrine Hogg Purvis might have been siblings but they have different fathers, Thomas and was it John?? More next time... Jenny

Jenthec
15-03-12, 03:14
Further to that wedding above, one witness was Mary Grout, sister of James and Charles and she was 1st wife or Peregrine Hogg Purvis. You were correct I think in that Thos Grout, father of both grooms, signed both registers. Jenny

Jenthec
15-03-12, 03:26
Charles Grout and Ann Garrett m. as above 1842 had 8 children Ann b.1843, Charles 1844, George 1846, Henry 1847, Walter 1849, Emma 1851, Jessy 1854 and Jane 1861. Son Charles m Ann Margaret Knott on 2 Apr 1874 at Parish Church of Sth Hackney. Their eldest son, Charles Albert Grout b. 1878 was my grandfather but I never knew him as he died before my birth. Ann Margaret Knott was born 31 Aug 1849 at Shoreditch to Joshua Knott and Douglas/ Doughlah Edwards. She and Charles had 11 children, Annie Maud, Nellie, Charles, George Gilbert, Arthur Hubert, Lucy, John Garrett, Thomas Stanley, Frecerick, Margaret and Harold. I have a tree on ancestry if anyone wishes to view it. Jenthec

Merry
15-03-12, 13:19
Thanks for the heads up Merry on how to pronounce Braughing. Spent ages last night googling Layston and Buntingford, now the one town, but were the places mentioned for Wm and Ann Grout's family.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'were the places mentioned for Wm and Ann Grout's family'? William and Ann Grout were both buried there and their children were baptised there.

I have a copy of William's will but it only mentions George, William (sons) and Sarah (daughter) by name. So did he and Ann have all the foll chn all listed on Family Search?? Sarah b. 1800, George 1801-02, John Sep 1803, Mary 1808 (2nd wife of Peregrine Hogg Purvis), Ann 1810, William 1812, Jane 1814. All born to William and Ann, all baptised Layston????

Yes, that's right. One child had died: John buried 13 Nov 1824 at St Andrew's Enfield (entry says aged 21, son of Wm Grout, harness maker of Puckeridge. Died with his uncle Enfield Ward - if only all entries were so helpful! I thought at first his uncle had died too, but I think the entry just means he was living/staying with his uncle), but the rest of Wm Grout's children were living (except I'm unsure about Ann). On the 1841 census William has George, Mary Wm and Jane with him in Layston.

William's will was witnessed by James Smith who was his brother-in-law and my 4xg-grandfather!

The wedding in Hackney for Wm Grout and Ann Smith was witnessed by Mary Langford who was my 4xg-grandmother. She married Ann Smith's brother James the following year.

Charles Grout and Ann Garrett m. as above 1842

Did you spot Ann Garrett's mother in the photo album :):):):) Am I right that she (Ann Draper) is your 3xg-grandmother!!

Charles Grout and Ann Garrett m. as above 1842 had 8 children Ann b.1843, Charles 1844, George 1846, Henry 1847, Walter 1849, Emma 1851, Jessy 1854 and Jane 1861. Son Charles m Ann Margaret Knott on 2 Apr 1874 at Parish Church of Sth Hackney. Their eldest son, Charles Albert Grout b. 1878 was my grandfather but I never knew him as he died before my birth. Ann Margaret Knott was born 31 Aug 1849 at Shoreditch to Joshua Knott and Douglas/ Doughlah Edwards. She and Charles had 11 children, Annie Maud, Nellie, Charles, George Gilbert, Arthur Hubert, Lucy, John Garrett, Thomas Stanley, Frecerick, Margaret and Harold. I have a tree on ancestry if anyone wishes to view it. Jenthec

Thanks for that - I have the children of Charles and Ann Grout but hadn't followed them forward, so now I know where you fit :D

Jenthec
17-03-12, 05:00
Merry - link to photobucket not working today 17 March - maybe the Irish gremlins have got into it for St Pat's day!! Jenny

Merry
17-03-12, 06:32
Ah, I know why that is....:o:o:o......so sorry, yesterday I changed the name of the album without a thought for the link here! *promises not to do it again* Try this:

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Maynard%20Album%201/

Jenthec
17-03-12, 08:44
Thanks you yes - that worked... now to take a good look...Jenny

Jenthec
21-03-12, 01:42
Merry, I'm trying to follow the Smiths and the Grouts as you suggest above....If Ann Smith married William Grout, then their daughter Jane Grout married George Smith....was George son of Ann's brother James and therefore Jane's cousin??? or was he yet another Smith family?? Do you also have parents for Ann and James Smith?? BTW photos working beautifully - many thanks. Jenny

Merry
21-03-12, 05:51
George was not the son of James Smith (which was what I hoped for when I found George's relatives in the album and purchased his marriage cert to establish his father's name!) but they are related. Yes, I do have parents for James and Ann Smith and thanks to various extremely helpful bits of documentation and an absolute web of relationships I can be as close to 100% certain I have it right as is possible!! (not easy with Smiths, as I'm sure you appreciate!).

I am busy today, but have received your email and will reply properly later on :) (I will also be emailing my Charlie Grout photo to you :D)

MargaretMarch
21-03-12, 22:16
Sorry to butt in but saw the mention of the name Nugent and have sent a message via ancestry to Jenthec to see if I am connected as that is my family name and they are from Ireland.
Margaret